Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xerxel
Advocate II
Advocate II

You're good to go! (Personal Gateway)

Why is it that my Personal Gateway says everything is OK but when I look in the "Manage Gateways" page, it says "You don't have any data gateways".

Is this expected behaviour or do other people have their Personal Gateway listed on that page?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xerxel,

This is an expected behavior. After you install Power BI personal gateway and configure the gateway, you are able to sign in data source and schedule refresh for the dataset in the dataset’s Settings screens, you can check the following example. For more details, please review this article: Power BI Gateway - Personal.
1.PNG

However, if you install on-premises gateway and register it on your machine, you will find the registered gateway in the "Manage Gateways" page.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lydia,

thanks for the clarity and screenshots. This is exactly what I needed!

For me, "Use your gateway" is not displayed. This must be the problem.

Next question: How do you know which ID / credentials the personal gateway is using to connect to PowerBI?

I have two IDs:

1. My trial Azure ID

2. My Corporate ID which I have switched to after the sucessful trial.

The personal gateway never asks for a login and password for PowerBI. It only asks for a service account to run the windows service. So how do you tell it which PowerBI account to use? I have checked the config files and support articles but can't find any reference except to details for proxys. I have logged in to both accounts on PowerBI and there is no text which says "use your gateway". I have tried from a corp network and from a total unrestricted internet connection.

Xerxel

Hi @xerxel

Do you install the personal gateway by yourself? When the Installation Wizard finishes, you’ll be prompted to launch the Configuration Wizard.You’ll need to sign in to Power BI with a Power BI Pro account from the Wizard, please check the following screenshots for more details.

1.jpg2.PNG.jpg

Reference:
Connect to on-premises data sources with Power BI Personal Gateway
Install and configure personal gateway (4-6)

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks again for the screenshots - very useful.

The second screen is not displaying for me. This muct the problem. It jumps straight to "good to go".

I wonder if some kind of auto login is taking place. I tried it from 2 domain machines - a PC and a secrver. Will now try it from a PC not in the domain to see if it makes a difference.

Xerxel.

Hi @xerxel

How about uninstalling personal gateway and re-installing personal gateway? I would recommend you use CCleaner to completely uninstall personal gateway if you encounter any issues during the uninstallation process.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors