Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lachicazul
Frequent Visitor

You do not have access to your data source via an Enterprise Gateway

Good afternoon and happy new year.

I'm testing the Enterprise Gateway with a SSAS data source but I cannot visualize my report in PowerBI

These are the steps I followed:

1. I have installed the Enterprise Gateway on the same AS server.

2. The gateway is configured and a data source is added to it. The credential used has server administration rights on the SSAS Server and belongs to the Admin Role in my OLAP DB.

3. I have built a new report using Power BI Desktop (using the option "Explore live"). It works fine. 

4. I have published the report successfully but I'm not able to open it in PowerBI: Report could not access the data source because you do not have access to your data source via an Enterprise Gateway

On top of that, when I try to open the Power BI Enterprise Gateway directly from Start I have an error message as well: 'Failed to contact gateway service"

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure if this is a clue: I don't have the same password for my AD account and my PowerBI account. Still, the user is the same:

companydomain\user (AD) and user@companydomain.com (Power BI). 

Thanks in advance 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
NikolajP

Had a similar problem, it helped to just delete all affected reports and connections on PowerBI.com and publish the same reports again. Guess its some problem related to the reports beeing on PowerBi.com over the course of an update. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I realize that this is for the Analysis Services connector but the same basic troubleshooting should apply:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-analysis-services-connector-indepth/

First, make sure you have a Pro account.

Second most probable would be something to do with your firewalls and connectivity between the gateway and Power BI service.

The error does not point to credential issues, it sounds more like it can't see the gateway but it could be some sort of credential issue, that link above will explain how those credentials get translated.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The issue only occurs to non-admin users.

I am facing the same issue here. Just wondering whether the threadstarter have managed to solve his issue? Is this issue caused by the need of opening outbound connections to the domain names and ports stated in the link below?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-indepth/

I face the same issue.

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe /Troubleshoot

Capture.PNG

Configurator hanging:

Capture1.PNG

Tried with Firewall on/off. Explicitly enabled firewall rule outbound port 443. Same result.

Any ideas?

Getting the same error message, the eneterprise gateway works fine with DirectQuery to the normal database but not when connecting to Analysis Services...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors