Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sunam

XML encoding issue - unexpected token (string with &)

Hi,

I'm facing the below error while loading an XML file through Power Query

DataFormat.Error: Xml processing failed. Either the input is invalid or it isn't supported. (Internal error: '<' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 1544, position 46.)
Details:
    [Binary]

The file itself has this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

The issue is apparently with this line in the XML (and thereafter)

<ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">FINCK&CO</ss:Data></ss:Cell>

I assume the & sign is not compatible with the encoding I've chosen or the creation of the file is using wrong encoding tag somehow?? I've tried multiple of the different encoding choices (multiple ISO's, UTF's, Latin1's). Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sunam 
I am not familiar with XML code, but it says "<" is the problem of this error. Did you make sure the xml code were written correctly.

Paul

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sunam

Thanks Paul, I'm leaning towards the incorrect xml code as well. Did some digging on stackoverflow and looks like it just would need to be &amp; instead of &. I'll still keep this "open" as I did not yet receive reply from the responsible parties to the actual xml document (ie. whether they think its correct or not).

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sunam 
I am not familiar with XML code, but it says "<" is the problem of this error. Did you make sure the xml code were written correctly.

Paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors