Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

curious
Frequent Visitor

Workarounds for using Direct Query with Oracle 11g

I know that Direct Query can only be used with Oracle version 12 and above but I'm stuck with 11g. So, I'm trying to think of workarounds for this.

One method I can think is to upload the data to an intermediary supported database (like Azure) and then use Direct Query from there.

Another method is to to use linked servers from SQL Server though I'm sure whether this will work or not,

Any comments on the above approaches or are there any better workarounds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@curious,

The above workarounds you mentioned are executable. You can upload Oracle data to Azure SQL database or on-premise SQL Server , then use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop to connect to the SQL data source.

Moreover, if you want to use linked server, you can follow the guide in this similar thread to connect to the data source.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have, in the past, used a simple workaround by renaming the 11 driver to the same as the 12 driver... it worked for a while.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@curious,

The above workarounds you mentioned are executable. You can upload Oracle data to Azure SQL database or on-premise SQL Server , then use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop to connect to the SQL data source.

Moreover, if you want to use linked server, you can follow the guide in this similar thread to connect to the data source.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors