Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

danielmillion
Frequent Visitor

Work Model For Creating Self - Refreshing Reports For Clients

Hello everyone, 

I would like to get your opinion on this doodle of mine.

The doodle shows how my company will create reports with schedule refresh abillities for clients, using Power BI.

The idea is this : 

1. Creating a report

2. Publish it

3. Create connection through Power BI Gateway (Not Personal Mode)

4.Sharing reports with client through an account we provide.

The main idea is to create a dependency between the client and us. The reports and data will be at our control,

and the client will be able to view the report at any time.

I will be glad for this great forum to comment on my short description of the way we do things and give me notes.

The doodle :

work model.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@danielmillion ,

You can create report in Power BI Desktop, then publish the report to Power BI Service, add data source within gateway in Power BI Service and then set schedule refresh for this dataset.

After that, you can share the report to your clients, or share a dashboard to your clients. You clients will be able to view the Power BI report and they only have read-only permission on this report. In addition, please note that the clients will require Power BI pro license.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@danielmillion ,

You can create report in Power BI Desktop, then publish the report to Power BI Service, add data source within gateway in Power BI Service and then set schedule refresh for this dataset.

After that, you can share the report to your clients, or share a dashboard to your clients. You clients will be able to view the Power BI report and they only have read-only permission on this report. In addition, please note that the clients will require Power BI pro license.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

As I see it, this is exactly what I thought we should do.
Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors