Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

emil_melikov
Frequent Visitor

Which data does the dataset consist of?

Hello community,

Could someone help me and explain what part of data is transmitted from the data source to the data set.

Pls. picture the following example.

ID        Name        Date of Birth          

1          James              23.12.88

2          Catrine             23.10.77

3          Jim                   23.06.67

If I would store the whole data in my private database and would want to transmit just the most necessary data to render it in the cloud (that happens at the microsoft’s cloud, as I have understood).

What data from the upper shown table would be transmitted to the dataset from data source for rendering purposes. The whole data or just the attribute names?

Thanks in advance,

Emil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @emil_melikov,

Firstly, as other post, when you use DirectQuery feature, the data will not published into Power BI. Only attribute names are published in dataset in Power BI. The dataset will always store in Power BI as long as you don’t delete it.

Secondly, for the rendering engine of Power BI, please review the blog and greggyb’s reply in this case.

Thirdly, third parties will not be able to get access to your data during the rendering process. For more details about Power BI Security, please review this article.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@emil_melikov Dataset that you import in power bi desktop and publish gets published as a whole. So not just the attribute names but the actual data gets published as well. Alternative to that is to use directquery feature where no data gets published to power bi service but live connection is made from power bi service to data source on-premise and each time you interact with visual queries are executed against on-premise data source.

Hi Ankit,

many thanks for helping!

What is meant by the direct query? Is that the live query?

If we would consider the Power BI architecture. There is a way to connect to the on-premise database over the enterprise gateway. In this case I would need to use the live query. But as I have understood, the dataset that is transmitted to the Microsoft cloud consists of a part of the general data.

Is there a way given to keep all data on premise, without to put it in the Microsoft could at all?

Best regards,

Emil

Hello again,

now I got some more information regarding the direct query.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/

In case I publish my data, how does the rendering work? Do I need to transfer it to the Microsoft cloud? I thought the rendering happens in the cloud anytime.

BR,

Emil

Hi @emil_melikov,

When you connect to on-premises SQL Server database by using DirectQuery feature in Power BI Desktop, create report and publish it to Power BI Service, the dataset in Power BI  Service is always up-to-date once you add data source for the SQL Server database under on-premises gateway.  However, you’ll need to refresh manually so Power BI Service can refresh the data in your reports and dashboards for you.

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-data/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your reply.

What I still do not understand is, what happens with our organizational and sensitive data during the pulling process over the direct query from the on-premise sql data base. After the data refresh, the report will be visualized and published in Power BI for certain user groups. Exactly in this moment our organization data will be packed into a data set that is transmitted for visualization purposes to Power BI Cloud Services. This is exactly the point I need more information about.

What part of our data is stored in the data set?

How long the data set remains in the cloud services?

How does the rendering engine work?

What happens with our data when the rendering is done?

Theoretically, are third parties able to get access to our data during the rendering process?

Thanks in advance,

Emil

Hi @emil_melikov,

Firstly, as other post, when you use DirectQuery feature, the data will not published into Power BI. Only attribute names are published in dataset in Power BI. The dataset will always store in Power BI as long as you don’t delete it.

Secondly, for the rendering engine of Power BI, please review the blog and greggyb’s reply in this case.

Thirdly, third parties will not be able to get access to your data during the rendering process. For more details about Power BI Security, please review this article.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi Lydia,

many thanks for helping. I found all the necessary information in the PBI security white paper document at the trust center website:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/8/C/48CFCF8A-2025-4B97-B249-7B505E26E7ED/Power%20BI%20Secur...

Best regards,

Emil

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors