Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

snelljmshp

Where is data stored?

I'm evaluating Power BI against other tools.  It's not clear to me where the data goes after I create a Dashboard and share it.  All evidence seems to indicate the data is being transferred to MS somehwere because when I build a Dashboard based on a local file and share it, others are able to see and operate the dashboard even when my machine is turned off.  And there is no evidence of a file being sent to all users. 

Can anyone confirm if our data is being transferred?  Is that true even when you connect to an on-premise SQL database?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Data is definitely stored in the cloud for non-live sources.

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/487029-power-bi-preview-basic-concepts

Note the word "import" under Data Sets.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JonasHans
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I have to ask this Question, too.

Is there no other way to run PBI just local. We don´t really want to upload all the data to MS.

Isn´t it possible to run PBI on a local server ?
And if we have to use the cloud, what´s about the security ?
I only read out that they use the access of Azure.

On there website they only write Azure is save, but they don´t really tell us anything about a security log or any encryption methods.

Thanks a lot !
Greetings, Jonas Hans

@JonasHans You can't run Power BI as a stand alone locally run program. MS aquired Datazen to fill this gap, and it may be an option for you, but it is currently a different tool all together.

As for security, check out this link with all the additional side links describing the different components.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi

What is the different about data store  in power BI desktop and power BI web service?

Ways to extract data

Data

Visual cache( report)

Credential

1.live/direct query

??

??

??

2.Import data

??

??

??

3.Stream data

??

??

??

Thank you 

Jane

Hi Jane,

Go through this video in first 5 minutes you'll receive your answer for data storage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5a18uUYtDM

Best,
Bhavana

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Data is definitely stored in the cloud for non-live sources.

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/487029-power-bi-preview-basic-concepts

Note the word "import" under Data Sets.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Is data still stored in the cloud for their new Desktop stand-alone version of Power BI?

@g_h0st In powerbi desktop until you publish to powerbi service, data is stored locally within powerbi in pbix (powerbi file) file.

Hi,

I have same question but need more clarification on Power BI Report server (On premises). the scenario is Power BI report server installed on VM1 and it's database hosted on central database server (VM2)

As answered, the data stores in cloud when a Power BI report published with "Import method".  Does it mean the data stores on Power BI Report Server's storage (VM1) in On-Premises scenario? or the database server's storage (VM2) ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors