Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hamzaa

When is data stored in the cloud?

Hi,

I just started researching Power BI and had a few questions about when data is stored in the cloud

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that if I import data from excel\csv file into Power BI Desktop and publish it to Power BI Service the data from the file is stored on Azure. 

I read on another post that in case of a DirectQuery, which is basically a live connection, no data is stored in the cloud, just some caching. But If I have a on-premise gateway connection and don't want that to be a live connection, then how much of the data from the database is stored in the cloud? 

Also if I connect to an excel file that is on our company's sharepoint, would that be considered a live connection? is the data from that file stored in the cloud or just sharepoint?

I am just trying to understand all the cases in which the data will be stored in the cloud.

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1

@hamzaa First, if you haven't seen this page, and the accompanying white paper that you can download, I would highly recommend you read through it as it describes all this.

But - on to your questions:

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that if I import data from excel\csv file into Power BI Desktop and publish it to Power BI Service the data from the file is stored on Azure. 

This is correct.

I read on another post that in case of a DirectQuery, which is basically a live connection, no data is stored in the cloud, just some caching. But If I have a on-premise gateway connection and don't want that to be a live connection, then how much of the data from the database is stored in the cloud? 

First, if you are referencing SQL Azure DB, then you don't need a gateway. If it is on-premises, then you do. In both these cases, if you change the connection type to "import" - then the data will be stored in the Power BI Azure backend. 

Also if I connect to an excel file that is on our company's sharepoint, would that be considered a live connection? is the data from that file stored in the cloud or just sharepoint?

The easiest way to answer this is with describing the connection types. Import - all data sources. Direct Query - SQL db's where the data stays in the database. Live Connection - refers to live connections to SSAS Tabular or Multidimensional. Your scenerio would fall under "import", so the data would be stored in the cloud. (Power BI Azure backend)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors