Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dyabes
Helper I
Helper I

When expanded column is not returning expected value rather delimited values of the entire row.

The data source is BigQuery and the expected value on the Sessions table is an integer. Why is it that it is returning what appears to be a delimited values of the entire row? 

Appreciate any help. 

Cheers,

David

8-2-2021 12-42-43 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dyabes ,

Currently simliar issue has been sumbited internal.

As a temporary workaround, try to make the table name and the column name be different to avoid this issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

That column may not contain valid JSON anymore (after Power BI tried to "help").  Are you able to send some example data?  I assume you are getting a JSON response.  If you paste your query URL in a browser you can copy/paste the JSON into a text file, store that in OneDrive or GoogleDrive and provide a link here.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

It looks like the real issue is when the table and column have the same names. 

Hi @dyabes ,

Currently simliar issue has been sumbited internal.

As a temporary workaround, try to make the table name and the column name be different to avoid this issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

I went ahead and loaded the table the to model even though in the sample table in PowerQuery is showing a JSON array, lo and behold, it resolves itself and is returning the expected value in the column in the model.

Is this a bug that should be reported?

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Looks like that column contains JSON.  You could try making a custom column with = Json.Document([Sessions]) to confirm and/or drill into that array.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi Pat, 

Thank you for looking into my problem. 

Added a custom column Json.Document([Sessions]) and records contain the following error message

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (70) Invalid query: Unrecognized name: source; Did you mean bounces? at [3:5]
Details:
DataSourceKind=GoogleBigQuery
DataSourcePath=GoogleBigQuery
OdbcErrors=[Table]

The preview of the table from BigQuery looks like this.

8-3-2021 4-01-06 PM.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors