Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nunopinto

What's the Power BI IP range when connecting to an outside Oracle database?

Good Morning,

I need to connect Power BI to an Oracle database which is protected by a firewall.

In order to do it I need to know the IP range that Power BI uses to connect the database to create an exception in the said firewall.

Can you tell me the IP range, please?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Nuno Resende Pinto

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I don't believe you can connect Power BI service directly to your Oracle database so you will have to go through Excel or Power BI Desktop and you will need the Power BI Personal Gateway. The computer you are building the Excel file or PBIX file on and the PC that you install gateway on should be the only IP's you need.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your answer.

My cenario is: I've created a PBIX file and stored it in OneDrive for Business, in order to allow the data update at any time.

In this case the IP address I need is from OneDrive for Business? Where can I find it?

Your desktop file on OneDrive will not update unless you open it up on your PC and refresh the model.  When manually refresh it that way and save it, the service will detect that the file has been updated and it will automatically update your dashboards and reports.  No firewall rules to worry about.

If you would like to automatically update your model, then you have to configure the personal gateway and make sure that it is running at the time of scheduled refresh.  In this scenario, the service will connect to the personal gateway over port 80 (it is typically already open by firewalls), your gateway then will connect to the oracle database and run your queries, but presumably since it is running on premise anyway, it should be able to hit your oracle database without having any firewall issues.  So the gateway will query your database and will then send the data back to the Power BI Service so that your model can get updated.

I've tried both with the PBIX file in OneDrive for Business and in my local machine and get the error 400. The gateway is running without any errors. I've got other data sets being updated through this gateway.

Do I have to install a gateway in the database machine? Is there an unix version of it?

How can I make this work?

There is no Unix version of the gateway.  As long as the machine that the gateway is running on can access the database, the gateway should be able to provide the necessary connectivity.. I am not sure what error 400 means, can you post the error description and also where you are getting this error?

The error appear when I try to configure the update credentials. It seems that it can't reach the database.

This is the error (it's in portuguese but I'll try to tranlate):

Falha no início de sessão. (Flaw in bigining session)
ID de Atividade: (Activity ID)b842ec72-d2b7-4778-b7d0-ea65916eba35
ID do Pedido: (Request ID)15c2aaff-2e57-72a3-7e9f-aef15a4939f4
Código de Estado: (Status Code)400
Hora: (Hour)Tue Aug 11 2015 16:24:59 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
Versão: (Version)11.0.9167.572

The gateway installed in my machine is identified correctly but it can't access the database. But I can access the database with no constraints.

Do you have any idea how can I solve this?

Thanks again.

I am wondering if you are hitting some internal firewall rule that prevents access to the database from the gateway (maybe there is something in those network packets coming from the gateway that the firewall between your machine and the database does not like).  I think you may want to have your network admins take a look at it.  From Power BI perspective, you have all the pieces in place to make it work.

From what I know the DB firewall only allows certaint IP addresses pass through. From what you've understand of my case which IP address/range do I have to add to the firewall exception list?

I am not sure, your network people can trace the packets and see what is happening.  I would assume that it should be the Gateway that's making the connection to the database, but it is possible that originating IP address can be different, so unless MS chimes in the best bet is to have your network people sniff the traffic and see what it looks like.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors