Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PBIDevNoob
Helper I
Helper I

What does question marks after a fieldname mean ex: "record[field]?"

I've been trying to learn the the TripPin example by Microsoft and I noticed that there were times when they were adding question marks (?) after the fieldname. Is there any point to this? I've tried removing it, and it didn't seem to make any difference. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBIDevNoob ,

This prevents an error being risen if the field isn't included in your table. 

Instead a null will be returned for the missing column(s).

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBIDevNoob ,

This prevents an error being risen if the field isn't included in your table. 

Instead a null will be returned for the missing column(s).

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Oh. That's nifty. Does Ms have any documentation on this? I've been looking everywhere online.

Its in the language specs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/power-query-m-language-specification

You're a life saver. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors