Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AJinCA

What credentials do I enter to refresh Power BI data set?

I created a data model in Excel 2013 Power Pivot. The data was in a SQL 2000 database. When I tried to connect initially I received an error message: "Failed to connect to the server. SQL Server Native Client 11.0 does not support connections to SQL Server 2000 or earlier versions."

So instead I connected using the .Net Framework Data Provider for SQL Server. I uploaded the data set to Power BI. Now I want to schedule a data refresh but I don't know the credentials to enter. I received the following error message:

Failed to update data source credentials: [Expression.Error] ADO.NET: The connection string is invalid. The connection property 'integrated security' can only be provided using credentials.

Does anyone know how I should set up the credentials?

Thank you.

Arthur Jenkins
2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you post your connection string? Are you using Integrated Security = True or Integrated Security = SSPI? I seem to recall some issues with the first when using .NET OleDB so you may be running into a similar kind of issue.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi. Thank you for your reply. Here is the connection string:

Data Source=osi-es-acct1;Initial Catalog=OS_Acct_APP;Integrated Security=True;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=ArthurJ

As you can see, Integrated Security  = True. If I recall correctly when I chose the .Net Framework Data Provider for SQL Server the only choices were Integrated Security = True (or False).

Integrated Security  = SSPI only appeared when choosing SQL Server Native Client 11.0, which as I said does not work with SQL 2000 databases. 

The interesting thing is the Configure dialog box that appears in Power BI when I attempt to configure my credentials has a box labeled Options Integrated Security that lists SSPI as the entry, although it is greyed out. Not sure if that has any significance.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Arthur Jenkins

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors