Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Weird one - PBI Desktop can get the column names but not the data from SQL Server database.

We have SQL Server 2016 running on a Windows Server 2016 VM sitting in Azure and we are trying to access it over Express Route. Not sure if this is relevent, but adding it for context and completeness.

SQL Server Management Studio, running on my laptop, (using the same connection string and credentials) has no problem.

Power BI Desktop (April 2018 version), running on my laptop, can connect to the database and see the list of tables. If a select a table and click load or edit, no data is found. Even though I know there are over 42,000 rows in one of the tables I select.

Anyone seen anything similar, or have any ideas as to what could be going on?

I did switch on diagnostic logging, but I'm not seeing any errors there.

I'm at a loss.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar scenario that occurs sometimes in the Edit Query section where it returns no rows.  I also am using Azure databases and i'm running Power BI desktop from an Azure VM.

If i select "Close and Apply" the rows do download into the Power BI model, so I know the rows exist.

The rows do eventually appear in the Query section however, i've sometimes managed to fix the problem with either a "refresh preview" or by adding another step into the query to force it to 'try again'.

Does this describe the symptoms you are also facing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors