Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FFFritz
Regular Visitor

Web Source via Gateway - Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel

When trying to use a Gateway Connection of the type Web we the following error.

I assume that the Issue could be solved when logging in to the standard Gateway user User “pbiegwservice” and downloading and installing the root certificate of the Web Server.

But there is no Password available to log on to that User.

Can someone help?

Underlying error code:

Underlying error message:

The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.

DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:

Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason:

DataSource.Error

2 REPLIES 2
daviddusa
Regular Visitor

I have just run into the same error.

I wanted to fetch data from a web server via REST API that is located on an on-premises network. I managed to import the data into Power BI Desktop using a custom connector because I added the server's CA certificated to the user's cert store on my Windows machine.

Next, I created a report in Power BI Desktop and published it to Power BI online. Because I wanted my data set to refreshed in Power BI online, I installed the on-premises enterprise data gateway on the Windows machine. Configured everything as per the official docs (add custom connector to the gateway, add data source to the the gateway in Power BI online), but when trying to add the data source to the gateway in Power BI online, I got the error mentioned above:

"Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel".

As @FFFritz suggested, adding the CA cert to PBIEgwService user's Trusted Root Certification Authorities store might help, because the gateway is running in the name of PBIEgwService by default.

You could import the cert to the service account following this article, but selecting "Service account" instead of "Computer account" and select "On-premises data gateway service". I tried that in the first place but it did not worked. I removed the CA cert from the PBIEgwService's cert store to start with a clean state and imported it to the local computer's cert store as Trusted Root Certification Authority. This solved the problem for me.

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @FFFritz , how does your data look like?

I just solved this issue on mine. I have a query that looks like this:

Initial step: ingest data from Oracle server

Step 2: enrich with data from dataflow using common key

Basically, the merged query did not work well. I solved it by migrating the first bit onto a dataflow as well, so now it looks like this:

Initial step: ingest data from dataflow

Step 2: enrich with data from the same or another dataflow.

I believe there is an issue when the same query tries to communicate with a Dataflow and the on-prem gateway.

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors