Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Web Scraping a table, Identify Changes

Hello everyone!

Im scraping a web table to see when new products are released from a supplier.  As they dont have a "new product" list, Im using their "full Product List" table, and want to compare old and new lists to see changes...

I have the PBI pulling the updated table data (latest refresh), but how do you recommend creating the old comparrion table in preparatrion to compare with the new data pull?  I tried adding a System Date to the table but I cant make it static and it keeps incrementing with each refresh.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Power BI is not built to handle prior data and compare with new data. It is an all or nothing refresh.

There are some hacks that can simulate partitioning off data in an ad-hoc incremental refresh, which you can read about here, but I'm not sure I'd put that in production. Also, everytime you republish your PBIX file, it wipes out the history unless you got really fancy and use the ALM Toolkit to preserve partions.

It is a very cool hack. It is a bit too Rube Goldberg for me to rely on for production reporting.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

Power BI is not built to handle prior data and compare with new data. It is an all or nothing refresh.

There are some hacks that can simulate partitioning off data in an ad-hoc incremental refresh, which you can read about here, but I'm not sure I'd put that in production. Also, everytime you republish your PBIX file, it wipes out the history unless you got really fancy and use the ALM Toolkit to preserve partions.

It is a very cool hack. It is a bit too Rube Goldberg for me to rely on for production reporting.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!!  Sad to see, but it makes sense... thanks for the swift reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors