Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

horiagrosu
Regular Visitor

We don't support settings for this dataset

All, 

I'm hoping to get some help with the issue "We don't support settings for this dataset." Here is a brief background of our configuration:

1) We have MS SQL Server that hosts a number of databases. 

2) We created a separate data warehouse database. 

3) In the data warehouse db, we created views that rely on other databases.

4) We installed PowerBI Enterprise Gateway and configured it to connect to the data warehouse db. (Connection is successful and online).

Everything seems like it’s configured correctly. I created my PowerBI dataset and Reports and tried to publish the results, however, I get the error: "Publish succeeded, built the published report cannot connect to the data source because we were unable to find a gateway. Please install and configure an enterprise gateway." After doing some more digging, I checked the settings in the "Manage Gateway" section on app.powerbi.com and everything looks good. All connections are successful after I clicked "Test All Connections." I then checked the DATASET SETTINGS for the data set I uploaded and found the following error: "We don't support settings for this dataset." This is where I get stuck. 

To give you even more background on our setup, I initially wanted to use the tables in the respective databases to create my reports. However, when I tried to create a report in PowerBI that required the tables cross filter direction to use Bi-Directional cross filter ("Both" instead of "Single). The problem with this is that DirectQuerry does not support "Both" cross filter feature. To get around this, I decided to create a view in MS SQL data warehouse db and that helped me successfully publish to PowerBI. My next step was to install the PowerBI Enterprise Gateway and that is where I ran into this issue. I am afraid that the Enterprise Gateway does not support connection to data sources that are views. 

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers,

-Horia

PowerBI Gatway Error.PNG

16 REPLIES 16
walid
Regular Visitor

I don't have the answer, but wanted to add to this topic my experience so far. 

1- Installed Power BI Enterprise Gateway. 

2- from Power BI desktop chose DirectQuery. 

3- selected one table from Ms SQL server, that is connected using IP address. 

4- published to apps.powerbi.com

5- I can see the data in a very simple report that counts number of records. 

6- number doesn't refresh by itself while display the dashboard on apps.powerbi.com

7- number doesn't refresh in Power BI desktop.

8- in the corner of power BI desktop shows DirectQuery: enabled.

9- when i open the dataset it says: {

Power BI

We don't support settings for this dataset. Learn moreabout data sources that currently support refresh.
The enterprise gateway SD Warehouse is online.

}

10- Refresh history shows it is successfull on demand 

11- Power BI

That is my experience exactly, thank you for tghe detailed breakout. 

horiagrosu
Regular Visitor

All, 

My colleague and I solved this issue. When you configure the Power BI Enterprise Gateway it will ask you to type in the datesource server. Make sure you use the IP and not the Host Name!  

Cheers,

-H

Hello,

I am getting the same error on reports and data I published to a particular office 365 group workspace, but not to others. we are running an Enterprise Gateway to an on premises SQL2014 database. Since both are from the same data I think I must have setup some of the reports wrong. When I mouse over the data set in the sidebar, where I would normally see things like "Schedule Refresh" I see the following text:

"This dataset connects to a source with DirectQuery, which is always up-to-date. You don't have to schedule a refresh on this dataset"

Since the data set hasnt refreshed in over a week, and manually refreshing the report does nothing in the browser, I feel I must have missed smoehting. Any suggestions appreciated. Should I start over and supply an IP instead of the path for the on prem gateway? Im confused why its only an issue within this group. 

Best,

no scheduled refresh.JPG

Jesse,

I do recommend to reconnect using the IP address instead of the host name. Let me know if this solves your issue if not we can try to troubleshoot further.

-Horia

what about named instances...that makes things a little more difficult. 

Good Afternoon All,

I have set up the Enterprise Gateway and am able to see the gateway in Power BI and connect to our SQL Database. I am able to create reports in Power BI Desktop and upload them. When I go to Settings > Datasets I can see that the Gateway is Online and the Data Sources are online however it says "We don't support settings for this dataset."

Someone said using the IP address of the server helped but I changed our settings to use our IP address and still receive the same problem.

Kind Regards

Nathan

@nbradburydoes it refresh any data at all?

Can you do a scheduled refresh?

Can you manually refresh the data?

Perhaps try uploading a direct query file and see if that refreshes automatically - just to test the gateway is working correctly.

Rgds

ED

Hi ED,

Thank you for the information.

I didn't actually see the option to do a scheduled or manual refresh. I think I may have had an error in my understanding. I was looking at an existing Direct Query I uploaded and that did seem to update fine. Would I be correct in thinking that Direct Query does not work with the dataset settings?

I uploaded an Import instead and I was then able to see the Dataset Settings as expected. So I am guessing everything is working as it should?

Thanks
Nathan

HI @nbradbury it sounds like it should be working.

you are right.

* if you upload an Import file you can see the dataset settings.

* if you upload a direct query it will not show dataset settings. All my Direct Query uploads say "We don't support settings for this dataset"

you should be able to click in the Refresh History to see when it was updated.

2017-02-07 12_07_10-Power BI.png

2017-02-07 12_08_44-Power BI.png

Hello Horiagrosu,

I am connected using ip address.

Regards,

(EDIT... right sorry. i re-read what you told me to do and will try that) . I assume I am not using the correct IP address?

cannot connect.JPG

wrong ip.JPG

Jesse, 

Looks like thre may be something not configured correctly on the SQL server. Make sure that the items listed in the error are configured correctly, i.e. the SQL server is allowed remote connections...

-H

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue for my DirectQuery datasets - "We don't support settings for this dataset" - even though I'm connecting using the SQL Server IP address and remote connections are enabled on the servers and my enterprise gateway shows as "online" in Power BI. What are some other things I could check on the SQL Server?

I had the similar issue...

Since I had to change my SQL Password everymonth and forgot to update the updated password in the "Manage Gateway setting". Updated the Gateway password and it was up and running.

Hope this helps.

Tango

I am getting the same error but. . . . . . it doesn't seem to matter.
Getting the same error saying we don't support the dataset

Dont support dataset.png

So I went back and

• restarted the enterprise gateway service.
  • Re signed in to the gateway online.
  • checked the service was running correctly.
  • Re uploaded the data source.

And it seems all for nothing. It has been working fine all day.

enterprise.png

Data Source settings.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors