Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dhooger
Helper I
Helper I

We cannot convert a value of type List to type Table

I'm trying to convert a PBIX into an SSAS Tabular model, and in the PBIX, we have a date dimension built with M that joins to a real table. It works in PBIX file, but as I try to bring that into TabularEditor and process, I get "We cannot convert a value of type List to type Table".

I'm a touch overmatched in M here to understand how it works. I've attached a link to OneDrive to the dimension here.

I believe the culprit is here...

#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Date"}, {"MDM Holiday"}, {"calendar_date"}, "MDM Holiday", JoinKind.LeftOuter),

#"Expanded MDM Holiday" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "MDM Holiday", {"dayoff"}, {"MDM Holiday.dayoff"}),
 #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Expanded MDM Holiday",null,"Workday",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"MDM Holiday.dayoff"}),
 #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Replaced Value",{{"MDM Holiday.dayoff", "DayOff"}})

But I don't know what or how to fix it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dhooger
Helper I
Helper I

Because I'm not sure how to use NestedJoin when trying a table built with M with an imported table from SQL, I removed those references from the partition. Then recreated the column with DAX using RELATED. Got the same result. Not sure why Power BI desktop worked differently than SSAS but I have an answer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dhooger
Helper I
Helper I

Because I'm not sure how to use NestedJoin when trying a table built with M with an imported table from SQL, I removed those references from the partition. Then recreated the column with DAX using RELATED. Got the same result. Not sure why Power BI desktop worked differently than SSAS but I have an answer.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Your third term needs to be a table and what you have is a list with a single text element.  Try this intead.

#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Date"}, #"MDM Holiday", {"calendar_date"}, "MDM Holiday", JoinKind.LeftOuter),

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thank you. Does # mean use as a table?

Now when I process the cube, I receive the following error: 
Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'Expression in partition 'Date-ab68c4b1-f6aa-4e6a-84fb-16426a81c707' in table 'Date' references unknown variable or function 'MDM Holiday'.

Now MDM Holiday is a table in the Tabular Model that comes in as import, not like this Date dimension that is created with M.

So I've figured it out a bit further. I've tried copying in the date table built in M from the PBIX where I had imported tables in Tabular Editor. Thus the M table partition for the date table is unaware of the other tables in Tabular Editor. I'm not quite sure what to do with this or how to figure out how to mix mode an M date table with real tables in one model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors