Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We can't open the workbook in the browser (Excel Online unsupported features)

I want to pin a visual from an excel worksheet. This file is in a sharepoint library.

I  upload the excel file as a workbook. I opened the file and I got this error:

We're sorry. We can't open the workbook in the browser because it uses these unsupported features:

• Charts or objects with external references (links to other workbooks)
Do you want to open the file in the desktop app instead?

I opened th file via excel desktop and used Power BI publisher for Excel to pin the visuals. It is working fine, i able to pin the excel to the dashboard. However  i just learned that once i pin a dashboard from excel,  power bi is not automatically updated or refresh. What i want to achieve is whenever there's an update in the file, the changes must be also displayed in the dashboard.

Anybody has experience on this? What are your work-arounds or solution?

Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Your issue should be related the excel. Please refer to this case.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-online-reporting-unsupported-features-error/8b787c9c-3889-42df-bee4-c80949303181

What i want to achieve is whenever there's an update in the file, the changes must be also displayed in the dashboard.

Once the data has been updated in sharepoint, the changes should be dispalyed in the dashboarad. If we Pin the tile by power bi add- in in power bi, we cannot make it up to date.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Your issue should be related the excel. Please refer to this case.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-online-reporting-unsupported-features-error/8b787c9c-3889-42df-bee4-c80949303181

What i want to achieve is whenever there's an update in the file, the changes must be also displayed in the dashboard.

Once the data has been updated in sharepoint, the changes should be dispalyed in the dashboarad. If we Pin the tile by power bi add- in in power bi, we cannot make it up to date.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors