Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zctpklo
Frequent Visitor

We Couldn't Authenticate With The Credential Provided

I know this is a question that has come up before, but I can't seem to get anything to work at the moment. I am just trying to connect to my outlook account with power query, and I keep getting this popping up when it's about to complete:
https://gyazo.com/92e9ec5f120f73cafdd1b43e952086a6

I am already signed in on Outlook with the same pw, so I know that it's not just a case of that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @zctpklo 

You'll need a subscription that already includes Exchange, which is one of the Business plans. The Home plans don't include Exchange.

You can see what is provided in each subscription here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/compare-all-microsoft-365-business-products

If you have a Business subscription then you should be able to use the Exchange connector in PQ to connect to your mailbox.

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zctpklo ,

First you should distinguish the difference between an Exchange account and a Microsoft account, refer:

1. Difference between Microsoft accounts 
  2. The Difference Between A Microsoft Account And An Office 365 Account 

If you cannot connect to microsoft exchange using microsoft account authentication, you can try to use the exchange account authentication. Please notice: To connect with Exchange account, please enter UPN even though it is shown as optional on account dialog box.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi. I was just using a regular microsoft outlook account. I used the second option (I didn't try using the exchange account, because I don't believe that's what I have).

Hi @zctpklo 

If you have just a 'regular' outlook.com account then it isn't actually using Exchange and you won't be able to connect to that account with Power Query.

To get data from PQ with the Exchange connector you will need either an Office/Microsoft 365 subscription that includes Exchange as the email store, or an on-premise Exchange server.

Phil

Ah ok, I see.

So, I do have one account that does have an office 365 subscription. How would I go about setting up exchange as the "email store" (the email ending is currently @outlook.com). 

Hi @zctpklo 

You'll need a subscription that already includes Exchange, which is one of the Business plans. The Home plans don't include Exchange.

You can see what is provided in each subscription here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/compare-all-microsoft-365-business-products

If you have a Business subscription then you should be able to use the Exchange connector in PQ to connect to your mailbox.

Phil

Just tested out what you said with a business trial and it worked!!! Thank you so much. I wouldn't have figured this out if it wasn't for you!

Hi @zctpklo 

No worries 🙂

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.

If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Do you actually have an Exchange account or are you just using Outlook.com?

Phil

Just using outlook.com

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Can you share the image by attaching here.

Also what authentication you are using while trying to connect, it should be Microsoft Account.

Just a quick fix, try clearing the data sources and then try again

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Just tried clearing the data sources, but it didn't work 😞

Problem 

Yeah I did use Microsoft Account.

What do you mean by clearing the data sources? I opened a blank workbook to make this query (would that still make a difference)?

Thanks (I will try anyway though).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors