Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Amar-Agnihotri
Resolver I
Resolver I

Want to merge data coming from 4 excel files in a single master file

Hello guys,
I need a suggestion. I have 4 excel files coming from different sources. All these files customer data. I want to combine that data to make a single master customer table in power query. What should be the best way to create a primary key column. I am thinking of generating a random number column and then concatenation it to the customer name. New column generated will be the primary key column. Is this a good one? Please give your opinion and of course if there can be a better option than this. Main problem is that customer column of all the files have different values and no common column to apply merge. I want to combine all sheets to make a master customer  data 
Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Amar-Agnihotri
Resolver I
Resolver I

@Greg_Deckler  2 sheets are integrated so that if I push customer in one sheet others gets updated but other 2 sheets may have different data of customers 

Hi @Amar-Agnihotri ,

Like @ Greg_Deckler  mentioned, if do not have the public column in these tables to merge, you can consider using an index column instead of a random column to get the better performance.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Spoiler

@Greg_Deckler your dax cookbook looks awesome. Will definitely go for that...👍

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Amar-Agnihotri Well, your approach will work provided that each of the four files contains only unique customers. But, if you have the same customer in 2 or more files, this approach will essential create duplicates. So, first question, are customers in each of the 4 files truly unique? You might get better performance out of an Index column rather than a random number.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors