Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

amitsankar
Regular Visitor

Want to connect Oracle database (hosted in AWS) with Power BI

hi experts,

I am able to connect to  Oracle database (hosted in AWS) with Power BI using power BI desktop. Now want to publish to power BI service /workspace. Do i need any gateway or additional stuffs ? 

Any help will be appreciated highly.

6 REPLIES 6
jennielear
Regular Visitor

I have the exact same issue. I can connect to my database via AWS on Power BI Desktop but when creating a gateway it fails to connect to the database address used in Power BI Desktop.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@amitsankar ,

If you mean that intall Oracle in a AWS server, gateway is required after you publishing PBIX file to Power BI Service if you want to refresh the dataset, you would need to add the Oracle data source within gateway usings same connection strings as that in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia.

Yes , the oracle databse is hosted in AWS.   Do I need to have specific gateway ?

@amitsankar ,

You can install on-premises gateway on the same machine as your Power BI Desktop, then add Oracle data source within this gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft Lydia.

Can you please tell me which on-prem gateway to use ?

FYI: I have already able to connect to AWS hosted oracle data base from power BI desktop; the issue is when I am trying to publish to power BI services. 

@amitsankar ,

You can install gateway following the guide in this article:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem.

And then add Oracle data source as per this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-manage-oracle.

Regards,
Lydia 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors