Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rian_II
Advocate III
Advocate III

View created in SQL query in SSMS VS Using the same SQL query created in PBI

Has anyone ever investigated the difference between:
1. A SQL query within Power BI Query Editor (when specifying connection string, selecting advanced and putting code in the SQL Command box)
2. Linking Power BI to a View in the SQL DB with exactly the same code.

I understand the choice between the two depends on the level of access you have to the SQL DB, but is there any difference in terms of performance (i.e. effect on resources) and the associated user experience when refreshing and consuming the actual report?

My assumption here is using Import, not Direct Query (don't know how the latter will affect it).

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Rian_II ,

Actually, by my tests, the query for the two ways is the same in Advanced Editor so I think that there should be not any difference in terms of performance (i.e. effect on resources) and the associated user experience when refreshing for the two ways of connecting.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft ,

Thanks for the response. Any other comments from the forum?

I understand the query is the same, but I'm wondering whether the data transfer and processing will work exactly the same? E.g:

• Is the processing to create the View always done on the DB server, or will some processing be done on the local machine which is consuming the report? 
  • When using Power Query to import the data, is only the result returned to the local machine, or is all associated data retrieved with the processing then done on the local machine? (which would not be ideal)
  • Any other factors that I'm not considering?

Thanks!

P.S. I understand this changes completely when using Power BI Report Server, but let's leave that out of this question for now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors