Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

VLookup in Power Query

Good afternoon. I am working through modifying a vlookup for power query and am runninginto issues.

Goal: Fill in mgr grade_rank with the manager's grade rank. 

Method: Match mgr_emplid and Employee ID columns and return the value in the grade_rank column. 

In the below example, I matched the mgr_emplid "1313" with the Employee ID "1313" and returned the value of "5" to mgr grade_rank. 

I know how to do it in excel, but am struggling to do it in powerquery as Lookup and Match functions. Any help would be appreciated.

Current version: 

Mgr Grade Rank = LOOKUPVALUE(Main[grade_rank],Main[mgr_emplid],Main[Employee ID],0)   Then how do I add the match in and return the value?  Thank you.

Out4uv8_0-1597177197207.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

THe easiest way to do this in Power Query is to merge the table with itself, but merge the Manager ID column with the Employee ID coluimn, then expand the grade.

edhans_0-1597181742403.png

Then expand that field only.

edhans_1-1597181822757.png

I see your example is using LOOKUPVALUE() - that is a DAX function, and you can use this as a calculated column:

Column = 
LOOKUPVALUE(
    [Grade],
    [EmployeeID],
    [mgrID]
)

It will return this:

edhans_0-1597182039186.png

But I recommend against it. In general, try to avoid calculated columns. There are times to use them, but it is rare. Getting data out of the source system, creating columns in Power Query, or DAX Measures are usually preferred to calculated columns. See these references:
Calculated Columns vs Measures in DAX
Calculated Columns and Measures in DAX
Storage differences between calculated columns and calculated tables

Avoid the temptation to work in the Data view and create a bunch of calculated columns like you would think of when using Excel when you just add another column. Power BI is very different and that is not a good practice to get into. Try to use Power Query for transformations and bringing in new data, and Measures for data analysis. Avoid Calculated Columns where possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

try to adapt this code

image.png

edhans
Super User
Super User

THe easiest way to do this in Power Query is to merge the table with itself, but merge the Manager ID column with the Employee ID coluimn, then expand the grade.

edhans_0-1597181742403.png

Then expand that field only.

edhans_1-1597181822757.png

I see your example is using LOOKUPVALUE() - that is a DAX function, and you can use this as a calculated column:

Column = 
LOOKUPVALUE(
    [Grade],
    [EmployeeID],
    [mgrID]
)

It will return this:

edhans_0-1597182039186.png

But I recommend against it. In general, try to avoid calculated columns. There are times to use them, but it is rare. Getting data out of the source system, creating columns in Power Query, or DAX Measures are usually preferred to calculated columns. See these references:
Calculated Columns vs Measures in DAX
Calculated Columns and Measures in DAX
Storage differences between calculated columns and calculated tables

Avoid the temptation to work in the Data view and create a bunch of calculated columns like you would think of when using Excel when you just add another column. Power BI is very different and that is not a good practice to get into. Try to use Power Query for transformations and bringing in new data, and Measures for data analysis. Avoid Calculated Columns where possible.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors