Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SenaM

Using the fields from a secondary data source to filter primary data set in Power Pivot

I developed a set of PowerPivot tables in Excel 2010. These will retreive all the data from the beginning and use Slicers to filter interactively. Now I need to;

1. limit the result set via pramaters Eg. From/ To dates, Client ID.. Etc.

2. The reports to be avaialble via the company web site.

In order to achieve this, we come up with the idea of having the web interface save the parameters to a datbase table on a separate server (data source is read only) and use them to filter the result set at the Power Pivot window. But I can join the fields as equal but for the date range, I need to have greater than / less than relationship.

Upgrading to a newer version of Excel is an option, but I am not sure that will resolve the issue.

I am open toa total new approach, if what we are trying is not feasible.

2 REPLIES 2
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

@SenaM Can you please share more details about what exactly you propose to achieve. Some sample dataset would be of great help to understand the scenario

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would take a look at building this in Power BI and using Power BI Embedded perhaps or the "Publish to Web" feature to put it on the website. For the date filtering, using the custom Timeline Slicer visualization available in the gallery.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors