Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dmuchmore

Using oData feeds in Excel

I have a client that is using Power BI for Office 365. We had created datasets in Power BI, and then created oData feeds from those datasets to use in Excel. The excel files were then shared with staff thru a SharePoint team site, and the staff could open the files in Excel online and do a data refresh and everything worked fine.

I know there have been changes to Power BI since we did this, and the refresh no longer works. I have been unable to figure out how to get this working again. Can any one shed some light on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dmuchmore,

If I understand you correctly, you connect to Power BI dataset in Excel before, then share the Excel with others. Then other users can refresh the Excel to see updated data, right?

In your scenario, as the Power BI for Office 365 is retired, you can use the current version of Power BI. In Power BI, there is Analyze in Excel feature for us to view and interact with a dataset that we have Power BI in Excel, then share this Power BI dataset connected workbook with others, and users can refresh data in Excel desktop version when they open the workbook. For more information, see: Analyze in Excel.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dmuchmore,

If I understand you correctly, you connect to Power BI dataset in Excel before, then share the Excel with others. Then other users can refresh the Excel to see updated data, right?

In your scenario, as the Power BI for Office 365 is retired, you can use the current version of Power BI. In Power BI, there is Analyze in Excel feature for us to view and interact with a dataset that we have Power BI in Excel, then share this Power BI dataset connected workbook with others, and users can refresh data in Excel desktop version when they open the workbook. For more information, see: Analyze in Excel.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Qiuyun,

Thank you for your reply. I had thought that might be the case. One other question. Do you know if it is possible to use analyze in Excel with Excel online? I have been finding conflicting information on this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors