Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chrisman2k6
Regular Visitor

Using Scheduled Refresh with Common Data Service Connector

We have used the Common Data Service Connector to build some reports from Dynamics 365, and we are curious if we publish those reports if we will be able to use the online refresh / scheduled refresh? We know the Connector is in preview / beta and is not recommended for production use, does that mean there is no way to refresh the data online? Any advice or suggestions of alternative ways to connect to Dynamic 365 data is greatly appreciated, thank you!

P.S. I essentially made this same post a few minutes ago, but it appears it was lost when I registered my Username (as far as I can see anyway). My apologies if this is posted twice!

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrisman2k6 

Is this problem sloved? 
If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case?
If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Maggie
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrisman2k6 

Is this thread which you post previously?

If so, in addition to the information in that reply, you could take a look at documents below:

Building Power BI reports for the Common Data Service for Apps

Getting Started with Dynamics 365 and Power BI

Use OData Connectivity to Create Power BI Reports

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the response Maggie! The post you mentioned was not my post, but would I need to use an on-premise gateway to get the CDS for Apps connector to work online? I was thinking the data is already online, not on an internal server, so I wouldn't need a gateway. We can totally install a gateway on a computer, but what would I need to point it to? One of the links you provided show how to use the CDS for Apps, but it doesn't mention anything about scheduled / online refresh. The last link shows how we can connect to the Dynamics data using the Dynamics 365 (Nav) connector, which we were using initially, but we have found the CDS for Apps connector is much easier to use and has been more reliable. Any additional info you might have is greatly appreciated, thanks again Maggie!

Hi @chrisman2k6 

Here is a guide on how to enable and use custom data connectors with the On-premises data gateway.

Please note to use the same data source credential used in Power BI Desktop for Power BI Service.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors