Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HayleyL

Using R to export then import data

Hi, 

I'm fairly new to Power Bi and have historically used Report Builder to report from my SQL Database (Housing Management System with no data warehouse). 

I have a gateway set up so the scheduled refresh aspect is fine. What I would like to do is export some of the data weekly (two columns and about 1200 rows), and then import it back with a date stamp or unique numerical value so I can then look at trends over a period of time. Each export will contain the same unique ID numbers with different values. 

From research I believe I can use R to export and them import the data, I can then use Time Series to use my historical and current figure to make predictions. 

I am just struggling to find any help with how to do all the steps together. 

Any help would be appreciated thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Do you get new records every week? Or are you exporting the same records to see changes? Ideally, your database would keep the change history that you could bring in directly. If not, you could use report builder to create a paginated report that you subscribe to weekly in csv format, and then use Power Automate to trigger off those emails and then save the files with a name with the date (probably to a SharePoint library).  You could then combine the files in Power Query.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Do you get new records every week? Or are you exporting the same records to see changes? Ideally, your database would keep the change history that you could bring in directly. If not, you could use report builder to create a paginated report that you subscribe to weekly in csv format, and then use Power Automate to trigger off those emails and then save the files with a name with the date (probably to a SharePoint library).  You could then combine the files in Power Query.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors