Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

numersoz
Helper III
Helper III

Using Power BI Desktop on Cloud with Python Support to Get Data

Hi,

I've just learned that it is possible to use a Python script to get data in Power Query. I will use Python to get data from an API. I know I can do this with Power Query too, but there are too many parameters involved and I feel more confident using Python, as with M code it will be too complicated for me.  .

I need the dashboard that I created using Python to get the data on the cloud.  On-Premises Data Gateway lets you use your Power BI Desktop file which has Pyhton script in it so that it can be published online. But my laptop isn't going to be on 24/7. What would be the ideal environment to have this Power BI Desktop file run on?

Should I get an Azure virtual machine? I really don't want to get a virtual machine and pay for it just for this purpose. Is there a better way to do this?

3 REPLIES 3
Kave
Regular Visitor

Hi,
It's my problem as well. And as I understood, we have to use a Gateway to run a Python script through the Power BI cloud (we are waiting for such an ability on the next versions of PBI).
Now, I am working on setting a connection between the PBI cloud, Python, and data Gateway.
Not easy and straightforward, but I try my best. And I let you know about this case later.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @numersoz 

If your data source is online, you don't need a gateway to refresh data automatically.

Using the data source with power bi desktop, after publishing to service, go to Setting->dataset->select this dataset->schedule refresh->edit credentials.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-juanli-msft Hi Maggie,

Yes, the data is online, but I am planning to use Python to get this data. If I upload the Power BI, will it still be able to run the Python script to get the data? When you use to get data from Python, you have to specify your Python interpreter. How would I do this online?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors