Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nicklittlec

Using Odata version 2.0 services with Power BI

Hi,

I am trying to use Power BI desktop (and Excel) with ODATA services from a very large (blue) ERP / HCM vendor. They only currently provide version 2.0 of the ODATA APIs. (Support for v4.0 is coming later this year... hopefully)

When trying to connect to the service when adding the data connection in the Power Bi wizard I get the following error after it has successfully authenticated and before the table list is displayed.

Details: "OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid."

The data model I get back is very large, but is obviously in v2.0, I am assuming that the cause of the problem is the version, so does anyone know of a way to use a version 2.0 service with Power BI?

If I can get this working I'll be able to make some users very happy, and not have to spend much doing it

BTW: I have checked that the response is a valid one (at least in v2.0), and  this feed works with the vendors business intelligence tool, as well as with the online Odata data model explorer.

1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nicklittlec,

1. Are you able to use the same OData URL get data in Excel?

2. Which desktop version did you run? Please run the latest version 2.47.4766.801 64-bit (June 2017).

3. Please run Fiddler then repeat the steps to get data use OData in Power BI desktop, share .saz file with us.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors