Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Group-By based on MAX date column

Hello everybody,

I am trying to use the Group-By function in the PowerQuery but I am facing some issues. I have data that looks somewhat like the table below, and I would like to only keep the rows that has the max date per customer number. In other words, one line per customer with the latest date stamp. 

Customer number     Date                   Name              Current city         Status               
1111101-01-2020    Circle New YorkOpen
1111101-01-2019  CircleNew YorkClosed
2222201-01-2019SquareSan FransiscoIn progress
2222201-01-2020SquareBostonOpen
2222201-03-2021SquareBostonClosed
3333301-01-2021TriangleLos AngelesIn progress

I only want to keep the following rows (in bold above):

Customer number     Date                     Name             Current city        Status              
1111101-01-2020Circle New YorkOpen

I would like to create the group-by function to have (1) one row per customer number, and (2) choose the row that has the max date and (3) keep the current city, name and status from the row with the max date.

The reason that I am having problems with this is that if I choose for example "MAX" on both the date column and on the "city" column, I want the date column to have higher priority so Power BI does not keep the row based on the "MAX" city name. 

Any ideas how I set up the group-by function to work like this?

Thanks in advance!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

This should work

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bY8xC8JADIX/ynFzhbvr5KgFQRAd6iKlw1FDKZakJop/30unq/aRIQnvIy9NY73KFtb5TarggjNJaVEN3I2g3Rk+5kb8SO1lArRt8Y/5bQYtmWokgftMBdWCSkP9fEdWpo5oDhxRBukozUc0E1PPILJKB5fTe5IXYZ4x95fq96v+LF+pyi8oceUhYj9/dSIxO+xhBPnN134B", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [CountryCustomerCode = _t, #"Date (B)" = _t, Name = _t, #"Current city" = _t, #"Status " = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date (B)", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"CountryCustomerCode"}, {{"AA", each let t =_ in Table.SelectRows(t, each [#"Date (B)"] = List.Max(t[#"Date (B)"])), type table }}),
    #"Expanded AA" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "AA", {"Date (B)", "Name", "Current city", "Status "}, {"Date (B)", "Name", "Current city", "Status "})
in
    #"Expanded AA"

My advice is to avoid spaces in ColumnNames and Step/TableNames, otherwise you have to use #"".

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, it seems to work! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the solution here actually works, it's a simple way to do it and doesn't crash my Power BI!

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/In-the-query-editor-is-it-possible-to-reference-tables-othe...

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the solution here actually works, it's a simple way to do it and doesn't crash my Power BI!

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/In-the-query-editor-is-it-possible-to-reference-tables-othe...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again, it seems like the above solution is making the report to crash, probably because it is a very big table (many rows) that I have.. do you have any proposal for how to make a lighter solution? Thanks in advance. 

Jakinta
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

This should do the job.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bY8xC8JADIX/ynFzhbvr5KgFQRAd6iKlw1FDKZakJop/30unq/aRIQnvIy9NY73KFtb5TarggjNJaVEN3I2g3Rk+5kb8SO1lArRt8Y/5bQYtmWokgftMBdWCSkP9fEdWpo5oDhxRBukozUc0E1PPILJKB5fTe5IXYZ4x95fq96v+LF+pyi8oceUhYj9/dSIxO+xhBPnN134B", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Customer number" = _t, Date = _t, #"Name " = _t, #"Current city" = _t, Status = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}}),
    Grouped = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Table.Group(ChangedType, {"Customer number"}, {{"A", each let t=_ in Table.SelectRows(t, each [Date]= List.Max(t[Date]))}}), "A", List.RemoveFirstN(Table.ColumnNames(Source),1))
in
    Grouped
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jakinta , thanks for your response!

I am getting some errros though when I apply the code. In reality my "Customer number" column is called "CountryCustomerCode" and if I exchange "Customer number" with "CountryCustomerCode" I get an error:

Expression.Error: The field 'CountryCustomerCode' already exists in the record.

Also, my "Date" field is called "(B) Date" field, does that make a difference?

Lastly, the does the "CountryCustomerCode" need to be in the first column for this to work? 

My code looks like this now (i have referenced another table):

let
    Source = #"Main Database",
    #"ChangedType" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(B) Date", type date}}),
        Grouped = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Table.Group(#"ChangedType", {"CountryCustomerCode"}, {{"A", each let t=_ in Table.SelectRows(t, each [Date]= List.Max(t[Date]))}}), "A", List.RemoveFirstN(Table.ColumnNames(Source),1))
in
    Grouped

Yes, I supposed that your grouping column would be the 1st column according to sample you provided.

You can change List.RemoveFirst... part to 

List.RemoveItems(Table.ColumnNames(Source), {"CountryCustomerCode"})

or provide proper sample data.

Or just do grouping first then expand later with columns you need. I merged those 2 steps...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jakinta , thanks for your response! I can also just move the column to be the first one in my data - no problems.

I am not super skilled on the Power Query coding so I am not exactly sure how I would modify the code. Even though I move the column I get the same error. 

Also if I try to modify the code I get the same errors (probably I am doing something wrong):

let
    Source = #"(B) Main Database",
    #"ChangedType" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"(B) Date", type date}}),
        Grouped = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Table.Group(#"ChangedType", {"CountryCustomerCode"}, {{"A", each let t=_ in Table.SelectRows(t, each [Date]= List.Max(t[Date]))}}), "A", 
List.RemoveItems(Table.ColumnNames(Source), {"CountryCustomerCode"}))
in
    Grouped

So my sample data looks like this now:

CountryCustomerCode       Date (B)                Name              Current city         Status               
1111101-01-2020    Circle New YorkOpen
1111101-01-2019  CircleNew YorkClosed
2222201-01-2019SquareSan FransiscoIn progress
2222201-01-2020SquareBostonOpen

This should work

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bY8xC8JADIX/ynFzhbvr5KgFQRAd6iKlw1FDKZakJop/30unq/aRIQnvIy9NY73KFtb5TarggjNJaVEN3I2g3Rk+5kb8SO1lArRt8Y/5bQYtmWokgftMBdWCSkP9fEdWpo5oDhxRBukozUc0E1PPILJKB5fTe5IXYZ4x95fq96v+LF+pyi8oceUhYj9/dSIxO+xhBPnN134B", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [CountryCustomerCode = _t, #"Date (B)" = _t, Name = _t, #"Current city" = _t, #"Status " = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date (B)", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"CountryCustomerCode"}, {{"AA", each let t =_ in Table.SelectRows(t, each [#"Date (B)"] = List.Max(t[#"Date (B)"])), type table }}),
    #"Expanded AA" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "AA", {"Date (B)", "Name", "Current city", "Status "}, {"Date (B)", "Name", "Current city", "Status "})
in
    #"Expanded AA"

My advice is to avoid spaces in ColumnNames and Step/TableNames, otherwise you have to use #"".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, it seems to work! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors