Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Gateway: Email Security Question

Hello - 

I am using the PowerBi Pro License through my employer and thus have my corporate email address connected. I have read that to use the Gateway (connecting to on-prem), it is required to use a powerbi/microsoft email address.

1. Should I be concered that I am connecting to internal corporate sharepoint sites using my PowerBi email-connected gateway? I would assume keeping everything aligned with the corporate email is a best practice... Since sharepoint is not on-prem, we can consider a local excel file for this example.

2. Is there a way to use my corporate email instead? If not, how can I set up a powerbi email specifically for my gateway usage?

Please feel free to provide ample context as I am relatively new to this.

4 REPLIES 4
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

It's important to learn which types of email addresses that you can use to sign-up for Power BI:

• Power BI requires that you use a work or school email address to sign up. You can't sign up using email addresses provided by consumer email services or telecommunication providers. This includes outlook.com, hotmail.com, gmail.com, and others. If you don't have a work or school account, learn about alternate ways to sign up.

• You can sign-up for Power BI with .gov or .mil addresses, but this requires a different process. For more info, see Enroll your US Government organization in the Power BI service.

The on-premises data gateway acts as a bridge to provide quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data (data that isn't in the cloud) and several Microsoft cloud services. If you want to connect to files in sharepoint sites, you may connect to them in Poweer BI service directly.

d1.png

For further information, please refer to the following documents.

What is an on-premises data gateway 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for providing these insights - I have read through the documentation.

To clarify, I am not using a consumer email service, I have my corporate email (Ex: almch@geico.com,  almch@target.com, etc.). Please let me know if there is a way to use this type of work email - I keep getting a credential issue when trying to set up the gateway (even through my credentials are correct). Could there be certain security limitations?

If I cannot use my work email for the gateway, please advice on how to best proceed in setting up a powerbi/microsoft account. I am concerned that it would be a non-pro license and thus lead to some restrictions. I would also ONLY use this email for the gateway, while the rest of my work would be done using my corporate powerbi-pro email - can I even isolate the gateway like this? Hope the disconnect is clear - could you provide some clarity? Thank you!!

Hi, @Anonymous 

About power bi license, I'd like to suggest you refer to Licenses and subscriptions for consumers and Power BI feature list for consumers and others with free licenses for further help.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I think you are wandering into Premium license territory.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors