Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PAPutzback2
Helper II
Helper II

Using Dynamic M Query with Date type Parameters breaks the calendar slicer. Datasource is SQL Server

My customer wants to query paycheck data in realtime so they can make sure remitance data balances between systems. I am trying to use Dynamic Parameters with Direct Query to create the WHERE CHEKDATE DATE BETWEEN parameter1 and parameter2. The M Code builds and runs perfect. But I can only trigger the parameters to update properly when when the dates are in a list or dropdown slicer. I've tried everything to get them to work in a Calendar slicer. I have added a second date to the calendar table that matches the column tied to the parameters and while that let's me have a calendar slicer, it never triggers the parameter to update. The query kicks off and runs with the date set in the parameters current value. If I use the date tied to the parameter in the list it works correctly.

I've rewritten the code a hundred different ways. This latest version was more about being able to troubleshoot.
let
selectedCheckDateStartConvert = DateTime.Date(prmCheckDateStart),
selectedCheckDateStart = Text.Combine({"'", Date.ToText(selectedCheckDateStartConvert), "'"}),
selectedCheckDateEndConvert = DateTime.Date(prmCheckDateEnd),
selectedCheckDateEnd = Text.Combine({"'", Date.ToText(selectedCheckDateEndConvert), "'"}),
query = "SELECT * FROM REFINED.VW_RPT_JULY_RETIREE_PAYOUT_REMITTANCE",
dynamicFilter = Text.Combine({" WHERE [Check Date] BETWEEN CAST(" ,selectedCheckDateStart," AS DATE) AND CAST(",selectedCheckDateEnd," AS DATE)"}),
finalQuery = Text.Combine({query, dynamicFilter}),
Source = Sql.Database(#"prmServerName", #"prmDatabaseName", [Query=finalQuery])
in
Source

Also, The article here: Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs says ... "in Power BI Desktop". I am hoping that doesn't mean this functionality is limited to the Desktop app and that it won't work in the service.

This is another error I get when trying to force the slicer by swapping the date column with the duplicate date column that is tied to the parameter.

PAPutzback2_0-1653098752291.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I may be misunderstanding something but it doesn't seem like you should need dynamic M query parameters in order to do standard filtering. It should automatically apply the slicer filtering to the table (assuming the slicer table has a relationship with the data table).

I recommend this article on DirectQuery:

https://radacad.com/directquery-connection-in-power-bi-how-does-it-work-limitations-and-advantages

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I may be misunderstanding something but it doesn't seem like you should need dynamic M query parameters in order to do standard filtering. It should automatically apply the slicer filtering to the table (assuming the slicer table has a relationship with the data table).

I recommend this article on DirectQuery:

https://radacad.com/directquery-connection-in-power-bi-how-does-it-work-limitations-and-advantages

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors