Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RafDelgado
Helper II
Helper II

Using Data Gateway with Web data source authenication method.

I have some reports which are currently using SQL on-prem and CRM online connected via API with authenication as Organisational.

The problem I have is that to use the data gateway, it says all the data sources need to be added, which is fine but under web, there is not an option for Autho2 or Organisational Account so unable to use on gateway.

I do have a personal gateway installed as a server which does work but testing the new data gateway. 

Does anyone know the reason why it would restrict the use of the data gateway in this way?

Thanks,

Raf

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RafDelgado,

In Power BI, datasets created from online services are refreshed automatically once a day. As Dynamics CRM Online is in the cloud, gateway is not required. So in your scenario, you can only the add data source under data gateway connected to SQL Server database.

Besides, when we configure web data source under data gateway, only three authentication mode are available: Anonymous, Basic and Windows. Based on the web site we are connecting to, we can choose corresponding mode.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Thanks for the response. I'm actually not using the Dynamics CRM online though as it would not accept the url https://<tenant>.api.crm4.dynamics.com via BI destop as showing unsupported. I used the web api url instead which uses organisational based authentication to get the information I required.

I understand how the gateway works, my original question was more around why organisational authenication was not available via the gateway really as it only has those 3 options.

I think in my case I may have to find a way of connecting the odata feed url instead of the API to connect the information, or use the personal gateway but as a service instead.

Thanks again for the response 🙂

Kind Regards,

Raf

I am still meeting this issue.

I am connected to a file, a collegue of my organisation hast on his onedrive and shared with me. I connected to the file with the 'Web'-connector and organisatonal auth. But the on-premise gateway doesnt give the option.

makes absolutely no sense to use an on-premise gateway for a cloud file

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors