Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shanecwu
Helper I
Helper I

Users can't see content for Power BI app report in (modern) SharePoint

We are trying to embed reports from a Power BI app into SharePoint (no access restrictions, open to all in the organization).  What we are finding is that users are not able to view the content.  The only way they can see it is if they themselves also download the app in Service.  This may be find with power users and report designers, but it defeats the SharePoint experience for all other users.

I asked around at this last weekend's SQL Saturday, and was informed that it should work, we just need to make sure that the users are listed in both the O365 group as well as the Power BI workspace.  Seeing as how PBI workspaces are currently still connected to O365 groups, I knew this was already the case, but we went ahead and confirmed.

I will open a support ticket, but just thought I would make mention of it here.  If there is something else that we may want to check or may have missed, then please let me know and we will look into it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@shanecwu,

In your scenario, you would need to add users as members of the Power BI app workspace in order for the user to view the report in SharePoint Online.

You can check the following official article about granting access to user in the case  that embed Power BI report to SharePoint online.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-report-spo

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@shanecwu,

In your scenario, you would need to add users as members of the Power BI app workspace in order for the user to view the report in SharePoint Online.

You can check the following official article about granting access to user in the case  that embed Power BI report to SharePoint online.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-report-spo

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion @v-yuezhe-msft, but it does not work, not unless the user also downloads the PBI app.  And if we were to embed the report itself from the workspace (and not from the app), then this defeats the purpose of publishing an app in the first place, to share across teams and workspaces.

@shanecwu,

Please review the official article mentioned in my first reply. In order for users to view report in SharePoint online, you have  two choices to grant users access to Power BI report, share dashboard or add users as members of app workspace.

When you grant user access to Power BI report via published app, it is not possible for them to view the report in SharePoint Online.

Regards,
Lydia

@shanecwu: As above, the users would need to be in granted access as members of the PBI Service. If you share the report publicly however, you can add the PBI web part to Sharepoint and users will have visibility on the report without requiring a license.

If your data isn't sensitive or doesn't contain references to sensitive info such as customer specific info, you could use that.

Thank you, @Phoenixke.  But unfortunately that prevents the ability to push out changes to the PBI report.  As it stands, the ability to use PBI apps is limited to just users who wish to use PBI Service, and it breaks the SharePoint user experience.

shanecwu
Helper I
Helper I

Appending to this, based on my other post, http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Which-workspace-for-downloaded-Power-BI-apps/m-p/356729/high....

I made the above discovery today, and didn't connect the dots until just now.  Perhaps the reason users can't see it is because the downloaded app resides in My Workspace.  If so, then it means that we are not able to share Power BI app content to SharePoint (and/or Teams, for that matter).

Any thoughts?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors