Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vanessa250919
Helper IV
Helper IV

Userelationship in table

Hello, I have one question in my table in AGENT name I have no data beacause my table "Employee" is in no active relation with my fact table because I have to fact table . For the measure I use USERELATIONSHIP( but if i want see the AGENT in table and no in measure I can't ... One idea ? 

Vanessa250919_0-1616520556275.pngVanessa250919_1-1616520593267.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Are you asking why you have no active relationship between your Employee and FACT table? It is because of those bi-directional relationships. Your model has ambiguity and it deactivates any relationships it cannot use automatically. In order to use them in a measure, you use the USERELATIONSHIP() modifier within a CALCULATE() but it only works in CALCULATE measures, and that can cause issues depending on how you want to create visuals like slicers. You cannot activate relationships for slicers and filters.

Microsoft recommends minimizing use of both Many-to-Many and Bi-Directional Relationships. In other words, unless you are a DAX expert, find another way to remodel your data to conform to a Star Schema and don't use these two features. I avoid them both at all costs.
Microsoft Guidance on Many-To-Many Relationships
Microsoft Guidance on Bi-Directional Relationships
Microsoft Guidance on Importance of Star Schema

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

Are you asking why you have no active relationship between your Employee and FACT table? It is because of those bi-directional relationships. Your model has ambiguity and it deactivates any relationships it cannot use automatically. In order to use them in a measure, you use the USERELATIONSHIP() modifier within a CALCULATE() but it only works in CALCULATE measures, and that can cause issues depending on how you want to create visuals like slicers. You cannot activate relationships for slicers and filters.

Microsoft recommends minimizing use of both Many-to-Many and Bi-Directional Relationships. In other words, unless you are a DAX expert, find another way to remodel your data to conform to a Star Schema and don't use these two features. I avoid them both at all costs.
Microsoft Guidance on Many-To-Many Relationships
Microsoft Guidance on Bi-Directional Relationships
Microsoft Guidance on Importance of Star Schema

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors