Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Franky
Regular Visitor

Usefull as reporting solution for multiple customers

We have an on premise sql server with multiple identical databases (only the data is different) on it for different customers.

Using an enterprise gateway it should be possible to publish reports on app.powerbi.com which use these databases as datasources.

But since these databases belongs to multiple customers, each customer should only be able to use the datasets from his database.

Is this possible using powerbi.

Or should we replicate our data which we want to use in the reports from our on premise sql server to  to sql azure (account of our client(s)) and publish the report in the powerbi subscription of our client(s) individual

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Franky

Hi Franky,

if you want to publish the data into the database infrastructure of your clients, you would need acceess to their Power BI accounts etc. This sounds tricky, as most likely you have to setup each machine with an own AD etc., so the client users can authenticate against your infrastructure. Nevertheless, I see a complicated security architecture there.

Thus I would recommend the second option. Publishing data to client's Azure SQL DB sounds smarter. In the PBIX-file you could use the "live connect" and just replace the database name below it. Also, you do not have to care / centrally administrate all the clients accounts. Also, the security issue would not be that big.

BR

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Franky

Hi Franky,

if you want to publish the data into the database infrastructure of your clients, you would need acceess to their Power BI accounts etc. This sounds tricky, as most likely you have to setup each machine with an own AD etc., so the client users can authenticate against your infrastructure. Nevertheless, I see a complicated security architecture there.

Thus I would recommend the second option. Publishing data to client's Azure SQL DB sounds smarter. In the PBIX-file you could use the "live connect" and just replace the database name below it. Also, you do not have to care / centrally administrate all the clients accounts. Also, the security issue would not be that big.

BR

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors