Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use power query to add a column

Hi,

I have a series of tables run through an external company using a server and the data I receive is all in direct query mode. I hope thats enough information for you to understand the set up.

I have the below table in the power query editor and I would like to add a column to this table so I can filter the 'start_date' field to values which are only this week (Monday to Sunday). I only want a count visualisation which I will then use microsoft flow to email our suppliers. I found the following code - 'Date.IsInCurrentWeek(DateTime.FixedLocalNow())' but I'm not sure how to join this with the current below code to create a column in the 'client_dimension' table 

= Source{[Schema="dw",Item="client_dimension"]}[Data]

I hope you can help.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

As tested, Date.IsInCurrentWeek works on my side when connecting to sql server in direct query mode.

Besides methods provided above, you could create measures to get desired visual.

New measure->

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[value]),FILTER('Table',WEEKNUM([date],2)=WEEKNUM(TODAY(),2)))

Capture4.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

As tested, Date.IsInCurrentWeek works on my side when connecting to sql server in direct query mode.

Besides methods provided above, you could create measures to get desired visual.

New measure->

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT('Table'[value]),FILTER('Table',WEEKNUM([date],2)=WEEKNUM(TODAY(),2)))

Capture4.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

you don't need to add a new column. Just use this syntax instead (not tested)

=Table.SelectRows(Source{[Schema="dw",Item="client_dimension"]}[Data], each Date.IsInCurrentWeek([start_date]))

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jimmy801 ,

Unfortunately the syntax 

IsInCurrentWeek

doesn't work as i'm in direct query mode.

Thanks,

Hello @Anonymous 

does this work?

=Table.SelectRows(Source{[Schema="dw",Item="client_dimension"]}[Data], each Date.WeekOfYear([start_date])= Date.WeekOfYear(DateTime.FixedLocalNow())

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

You can use a relative date dimension as per blog post below.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Relative-Date-Dimension/ba-p/779039

Or if you want to add a custom column to your table ( which I don't think you can in Direct Query mode ) then the code would be something like.

Date.IsInCurrentWeek( [Your Date Column] )

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mariusz 

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query. I have tried to add a column and as I thought, the limited dax formula options in direct query mode means that it doesn't work. 

I've read the blog that you shared and I've tried to add the code written into a blank query in power query but it gave an error.

Thanks,

Hi @Anonymous 

The article has a pbix file with an example, you can download it, copy the structure to your model and later use it as a date dimension.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors