Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SaaM
Helper II
Helper II

Use a function within a group by with some conditions

Hi All,

I am trying to use a function within the group by. I did manage to make it work so far.

My original fake table ( my real table contains 15000 rows and 60 columns):

ItemSerial NumberConditionalIndex
Anull21
AET1232
AET1333
BBT1554
BBT1655
CCTT166
DDET187
DDET288

I want to add a column with a result like this:

Column Wanted
ET12-ET13-
ET12-ET13-
ET13-
BT15-BT16-
BT16-
CTT1-
DET1-DET2-
DET2-

I did first a group by item (AllRows), then i got this table:

ItemAllRows
A[Table]
B[Table]
C[Table]
D[Table]

and for i.e the table for item A is look like this:

ItemSerial NumberConditionalIndex
Anull21
AET1232
AET1333

I want to apply my function for each item's table but did not manage to.

I already use this solution:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Concatenate-column-with-condition-Recursive-way-or-any-...

But it took hours to get the result.

Kind regards

Saam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the logic you want to apply to the table is not at all clear, I went to see the answers to the linked post and I used them to propose this solution. Check if it's right for you.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTIGYiMgVlCK1YGImEBFFQxBACFuCpUzAgEUURA2BgGwqBNInaEhmDSAmwwSNTM1MYZLGqELQymIIc5AFlg3hHB2dlaKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Item = _t, column = _t, index = _t, #"Serial number" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Item", type text}, {"column", Int64.Type}, {"index", Int64.Type}, {"Serial number", type text}}),
    #"Raggruppate righe" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Item"}, {{"all", each Table.AddColumn(_, "Custom", (r)=> if r[column] > r[index] then fn(_, r[Item]) else 0
)}}),
    fn = (tbl as table,colval as text) => Text.Combine( Table.SelectRows(tbl, each [Item] = colval)[Serial number], "-")
in
    fn

che può essere semplificato e reso molto più efficiente nel seguente modo:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTIGYiMgVlCK1YGImEBFFQxBACFuCpUzAgEUURA2BgGwqBNInaEhmDSAmwwSNTM1MYZLGqELQymIIc5AFlg3hHB2dlaKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Item = _t, column = _t, index = _t, #"Serial number" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Item", type text}, {"column", Int64.Type}, {"index", Int64.Type}, {"Serial number", type text}}),
    #"Raggruppate righe" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Item"}, {{"all", each Table.AddColumn(_, "Custom", (r)=> if r[column] > r[index] then Text.Combine( _[Serial number], "-") else 0
)}})
in
    #"Raggruppate righe"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the logic you want to apply to the table is not at all clear, I went to see the answers to the linked post and I used them to propose this solution. Check if it's right for you.

let
    #"Raggruppate righe" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Item"}, {{"all", each Table.AddColumn(_, "Custom", (r)=> if r[column] > r[index] then fn(_, r[Item]) else 0
)}}),
    fn = (tbl as table,colval as text) => Text.Combine( Table.SelectRows(tbl, each [Item] = colval)[Serial number], "-")
in
    fn

che può essere semplificato e reso molto più efficiente nel seguente modo:

let
    #"Raggruppate righe" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Item"}, {{"all", each Table.AddColumn(_, "Custom", (r)=> if r[column] > r[index] then Text.Combine( _[Serial number], "-") else 0
)}})
in
    #"Raggruppate righe"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors