Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Power Query to pick value from specific cells in multiple files

Hello all,

I need some help here. I am trying to user PowerQuery to do some analysis. Basically, I have about 70,000 files that I want to copy elements from them....elements as in specific cells, c4, c7, c10:c14. The normal process I would have adopted would have been VBA, but everyone feels it bears a risk given i am the only one able to script in the language. 

The image below illustrates (the data/fields contained are dummy figures)

seyiosinowo_0-1636044937123.png

Each file is in THIS template. I am trying to pick (D2) to (D7) from all the files and post in a table as below:

NameAddressHandlerCompanyFInished DateDate
Random Person 2282712037Random 22Random 22Random 223/8/2021

I am clear on how to import same field from multiple files, but THIS transformation is just not working.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

No it doesn't. But thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much Pete. Will certainly try this method out and revert...Looks like  solution

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you want to pick the same cells from each of your individual files, then check out my solution on this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Extract-particular-cell-values-from-several-workbooks-into-row/m-p/2150365#M63492 

If you want to pick individual cells from each file differently, you could have a look at how I've done it in this thread:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Excel-formulas-in-Power-Query/m-p/2114211#M62325 

where I've used references in curly braces and square brackets to reference specific row and column coordinates respectively:

BA_Pete_0-1635492425103.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors