Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ag00559054
Frequent Visitor

Use IF and return a lookupvalue

I have 2 tables ..and would want to check IF the dates are same in both tables then return cost from Table A to corresonding Table B if the cost is not included in table A leave the table B also blank 

Table A 

DateNameCost
14-MayA10
15-MayB11
16-MayC12
16-MayD13

Table B 

DateNameCost
14-MayA 
15-MayB 
16-MayC 
17-MayD 

3 REPLIES 3
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

How about doing merging Table A into Table B matching on both Date and Name and then expand the Cost column?

AlexisOlson_0-1652908343600.png

AlexisOlson_1-1652908381127.png

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Use below formula in a custom column

= try Table.SelectRows(#"Table A", (x)=> x[Date]=[Date] and x[Name]=[Name]){0}[Cost] otherwise null

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test (later on when you use the query on your dataset, you will have to change the source appropriately. If you have columns other than these, then delete Changed type step and do a Changed type for complete table from UI again)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjTR9U2sVNJRclSK1QFyTaFcJwjXDMp1hnDNoVwXpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Name = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Name", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each try Table.SelectRows(#"Table A", (x)=> x[Date]=[Date] and x[Name]=[Name]){0}[Cost] otherwise null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

@Vijay_A_Verma  Sorry ..i am new to power BI..Hence not able to word my queries correctly ....I have uploaded 2 file folders ..Folder 1 - Table A has daily data from Apr (30 -40 Excel files) and Folder 2 : Table B similarly  30-40  ..Both folders have different data..The only common data between them  is the Date ,name ...I want to check if the dates from Table A & Table B are same then retrieve  the cost from Table B to Table A

i used 

LOOKUPVALUE('Table A'[Cost],'Table A'[Name],Table B[Name]) 

But this will give me an error since i am not checking if the dates match..thats why i was thinking if i can use IF 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors