Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Urgent Help ---- DOD, MONTH, YEAR

Capture.JPGHi,

Please see the below query. Can someone share some solution for this query.

Urgent needed.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You posted this in the Power Query area, but this is better solved with DAX.  You should (in query) unpivot your data so you have a Date column and a Value column (or whatever your #s are).  Then you make a relationship to a Date table and do measures that calculate each of your three measures with a pattern like this:

NewMeasure =
VAR currentdate =
MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) // assumes you are using the Date column from your Date table in your visual
VAR currentvalue =
SUM ( Table[Value] ) // substitute with your table and column name. if only one row, doesn't matter if min max sum or average is used
VAR comparisonvalue =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Value] ), 'Date'[Date] = currentdate - 1 )
RETURN
comparisonvalue - currentvalue

The above gives you your DOD measure.  For the other two, substitute the below for the comparisonvalue line

var comparisonvalue = Calculate(SUM(Table[Value]), ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date])) // var currentdate not needed

var comparisonvalue = Calculate(SUM(Table[Value]), ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date])) // var currentdate not needed

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

mahoneypat's suggestion should be helpful.

If your real data have more complex problem, please feel free to ask us.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your help. 

The Code is : 

DOD = VAR CurrentDate = MAX(DataTbl[Date])
VAR CurrentValue = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTbl[Balance]),DataTbl[Date] = CurrentDate )
var ComparisonDate = calculate(MAX(DataTbl[Date]),filter(DataTbl,DataTbl[Date]<CurrentDate))
VAR ComparisonValue = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTbl[Balance]),DataTbl[Date] = ComparisonDate )
RETURN ABS(ComparisonValue - CurrentValue)

Monthly = VAR CurrentDate = MAX(DataTbl[Date])
VAR CurrentValue = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTbl[Balance]),DataTbl[Date] = CurrentDate )
var ComparisonDate = calculate(MAX(DataTbl[Date]),filter(DataTbl,DataTbl[Date]<CurrentDate))
VAR ComparisonValue = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTbl[Balance]),DataTbl[Date] = DATE(year(TODAY()),3,31) )
RETURN 
(ComparisonValue - CurrentValue)

Yearly = VAR CurrentDate = MAX(DataTbl[Date])
VAR ComparisonValue = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTbl[Balance]),DataTbl[Date] = DATE(year(TODAY()) - 1,12,31) )
RETURN

Answer of the above code
dod1.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

mahoneypat's suggestion should be helpful.

If your real data have more complex problem, please feel free to ask us.

Best Regards

Maggie

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You posted this in the Power Query area, but this is better solved with DAX.  You should (in query) unpivot your data so you have a Date column and a Value column (or whatever your #s are).  Then you make a relationship to a Date table and do measures that calculate each of your three measures with a pattern like this:

NewMeasure =
VAR currentdate =
MAX ( 'Date'[Date] ) // assumes you are using the Date column from your Date table in your visual
VAR currentvalue =
SUM ( Table[Value] ) // substitute with your table and column name. if only one row, doesn't matter if min max sum or average is used
VAR comparisonvalue =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Value] ), 'Date'[Date] = currentdate - 1 )
RETURN
comparisonvalue - currentvalue

The above gives you your DOD measure.  For the other two, substitute the below for the comparisonvalue line

var comparisonvalue = Calculate(SUM(Table[Value]), ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date])) // var currentdate not needed

var comparisonvalue = Calculate(SUM(Table[Value]), ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date])) // var currentdate not needed

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

First of all many many thank to resolve my query.

I am facing one problem the result will come correctly (It adding sum on both value while I am using the measure.) I need to subtract the value. Please refer the screen shot for your reference. 

Kindly inform to me, where I am wrong.  Please suggest asap.

Thanks

table.JPGVisual.JPGMeasure.JPG

It looks like you've made calculated columns.  I was thinking you would unpivot the first 4 columns in your original pic/table, and then create measures with the expressions I sent, and create those columns in a table visual.  If you do not need columns, it is better to use measures.  Can you clarify what your model looks like now, and describe the final visual you'd like to have on your report?

Regards,

Pat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your help. 

The Code is : 

DOD = VAR CurrentDate = MAX(DataTbl[Date])
VAR ComparisonValue = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTbl[Balance]),DataTbl[Date] = ComparisonDate )
RETURN ABS(ComparisonValue - CurrentValue)

Monthly = VAR CurrentDate = MAX(DataTbl[Date])
VAR ComparisonValue = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTbl[Balance]),DataTbl[Date] = DATE(year(TODAY()),3,31) )
RETURN 

Yearly = VAR CurrentDate = MAX(DataTbl[Date])
VAR ComparisonValue = CALCULATE(SUM(DataTbl[Balance]),DataTbl[Date] = DATE(year(TODAY()) - 1,12,31) )
RETURN

Answer of the above code
dod1.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat,

Please find the attached pbix file for you reference. Could you please edit the dax query.

Thanks

Adi 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/upleorbai3honsh/AADCD1bWbc5vlQtvmww5MuVea?dl=0 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors