Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SHS
Resolver I
Resolver I

Uploading Power BI-files and Data-files to Sharepoint

Hello,

I'm currently investigating the possibilities for transferring all our data-files and power bi-report files to Sharepoint, so all our data will be stored online rather than having these offline. However, as I'm a bit new to Power BI, I was wondering if any of you have tried this and may have some important aspects (pros and cons) that I should consider before doing this? 

Currently, we have tried to upload a power bi-report file (pbix) to Sharepoint and published this on Power BI Online, without any further trouble, but are yet to check potential security issues. 

Hope some can provide valuable insights!

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @SHS ,

I have a little confused about your scenario.

It seems that you want to upload the data files and pbix to SharePoint Online.

As I kown, if you upload the pbix in SharePoint online, you cannot open it online, you need to download it and then open it with Power BI Desktop.

In additon, if you use the data file which is uploaded in SharePoint online as data source in Power BI, you don't need to configure the data gateway to refresh it as it is online source.

If you need any other help, feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft Cherry, 

The scenario may also be badly explained, so no wonder if you're confused. As I'm pretty new with the system I had some difficulty in explaining it as easily as possible. 

However, based on your reply it seems that you understand, what I want to do, so that's perfect!

We found out, that it can't be opened online if uploaded to Sharepoint, but synchornizing the Sharepoint folder to your desktop allows you to do so - but I'm already following a thread in which several users requests this to be fixed, so I hope it will come in the future.

Reharding the data source, it seems like a pro! - We're currently storing all data files on an offline driver, but as we want to move everything over to online (Sharepoint) we wanted to be sure, that it was possibly without any big hassle. 

Are there any other pros/cons that you know, which I should be aware of before making this migration?

- and thanks a lot for your support so far!

Kind Reards

SHS

Hi @SHS ,

Sorry for the delay.

We found out, that it can't be opened online if uploaded to Sharepoint, but synchornizing the Sharepoint folder to your desktop allows you to do so - but I'm already following a thread in which several users requests this to be fixed, so I hope it will come in the future.

For this idea, you could vote this similar idea here and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

In addition, it seems that you want migrate your pbix files and other files to Sharepoint Online.

Actually, if you upload your pbix in sharepoint online, it will not refresh when your underlying data source refreshed in sharepoint online. You could publish your report in power bi service firstly and then embed it in sharepoint online then it could show the latest data if you set refresh in power bi service.

For other files, there should be no big hassle when you migrate from offline driver to Sharepoint online.

If you still need help, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors