Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrading On Premise data gateway

I received notification on Power BI Gateway that it needed to be updated by Nov 1.  Version 14.16.6464.1 was downloaded,  it installs but I can not Migrate, restore or takeover an existing gateway.  It times out after 1 min.    Do I have uninstall the old gateway and install a new one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous@jonathan_yap,

If you install the August 2017 update and beyond on-premise data gateway, you needn't to modify the register key. But if you install data gateway prior to August update, if you want to use TLS 1.0 before November 1st, you need to modify the register key. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

The latest on-premise data gateway is version 14.16.6480.1, you can download it here. Based on my test, if don't uninstall the previous data gateway, during installation, gateway can be updated fine. You can try this in your environment. 

If the issue persists, please uninstall the on-premise data gateway firstly then install the new version again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to get it to work by using HTTPS as protocol.     Do I need to to add the registry entries:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]"SchUseStrongCrypto"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]"SchUseStrongCrypto"=dword:00000001

to use TLS 1.1 & TLS 1.2.    

As documented in  https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/#support-for-tls-1112

Once those entries have been added to registry, do I need to uninstall and reinstall the gateway ?

Thank

Bpie123

Hi @Anonymous@jonathan_yap,

If you install the August 2017 update and beyond on-premise data gateway, you needn't to modify the register key. But if you install data gateway prior to August update, if you want to use TLS 1.0 before November 1st, you need to modify the register key. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi Qiuyun Yu

Same question on TLS 1.0 . Do I need to modify the registry keys on the machine running the gateway service after I ran the upgrade file?

I have done the upgrade, but reading the documentation in https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/ it says that, "you must add or modify the following registry keys on the machine running the gateway service" under the Support for TLS 1.1/1.2 .

I am confuse.

Regards,

Jonathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors