Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update a text column from other row data

My case is the following:
I have a dataset with many rows and columns. One column is the description which I want to update its data with a condition.

Example data:

akatopodis_0-1670590022361.png

In the 'New Description' Column, I am trying to have the value 'the description I want to update with' for the three rows with code AAA000 and the rows with code AAA111 to have as New Description 'Other Description' etc.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

You can add a conditional column first. 

vjingzhang_0-1670835660505.png

Then group by Code column and add two new columns as below. 

vjingzhang_1-1670835822196.png

Finally expand "All Data" column and select only old Description column. 

vjingzhang_2-1670835848838.png

Full code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnR0NDAwUNJRKslIVUhJLU4uyiwoyczPU/BUKE/MK1EoyVeK1UFSlp+TAlaGX9TQ0BAkCjSzCNlQNGk0TUZGRiia0MSxq4aLxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Code = _t, Description = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Code", type text}, {"Description", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "New Description", each if Text.StartsWith([Description],"old") then null else [Description]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"Code"}, {{"New Description", each List.Max([New Description]), type nullable text}, {"All Data", each _, type table [Code=nullable text, Description=nullable text, New Description=nullable text]}}),
    #"Expanded All Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "All Data", {"Description"}, {"Description"})
in
    #"Expanded All Data"

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Highly appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Manoj_Nair
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

image.jpg

Desired output 👆

@Anonymous - try this calculated column measure 

New Description = IF('Table (2)'[Code] = "AAA000", "the description I want to update with", "Other the Description").

Let me know if this resolve your query the MARK AS ACCEPTED SOLUTION. Many Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer.
However, I can't hardcode the description. In my real data, there are thousands of data that I need to update. I need an expression like this: for code 'AAA000', replace the description that starts with 'old' with the description that does not start with 'old'.

Hi @Anonymous 

You can add a conditional column first. 

vjingzhang_0-1670835660505.png

Then group by Code column and add two new columns as below. 

vjingzhang_1-1670835822196.png

Finally expand "All Data" column and select only old Description column. 

vjingzhang_2-1670835848838.png

Full code

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnR0NDAwUNJRKslIVUhJLU4uyiwoyczPU/BUKE/MK1EoyVeK1UFSlp+TAlaGX9TQ0BAkCjSzCNlQNGk0TUZGRiia0MSxq4aLxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Code = _t, Description = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Code", type text}, {"Description", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "New Description", each if Text.StartsWith([Description],"old") then null else [Description]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"Code"}, {{"New Description", each List.Max([New Description]), type nullable text}, {"All Data", each _, type table [Code=nullable text, Description=nullable text, New Description=nullable text]}}),
    #"Expanded All Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "All Data", {"Description"}, {"Description"})
in
    #"Expanded All Data"

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Highly appreciate your Kudos!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this is what I am looking for. Thank you all, folks!

@Anonymous - not very clear about your requirement, but try this or tinker the DAX if required.

image.jpg

  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors