Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Centaur
Helper IV
Helper IV

Update Vendor Name based on Vendor Code

Hello,

I have a query with [Vendor Name] and [Vendor Code].

I need to add another column for when the Vendor Name is null but I need to match on Vendor Code.

So essentially, when the Vendor Name is null then look at all the Vendor Codes and populate the Vendor Name when there is a match on the Vendor Code.  

I am importing an excel file and sometimes the owner doesnt update the vendor name so I want to automate this when the user forgets to update the vendor name. 

If you need to see the code in Advanced Editor I can paste it but its a little long.  

I am thinking there is a simple solution for this by way of adding a custom column or conditional column with special code that I dont know. 

thank you.

I hope this makes sense. 

I am a novice user in Power Query. 

Let me know of any questions.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Centaur ,

It just looks like you need to relate your Vendor dimension table (your master list that you're planning to fill in the gaps with) to the table provided by the owner.

In the data model, you would relate dimensionTable[VendorCode] ONE : MANY ownerTable[VandorCode].

You can then use the [VendorName] field from your dimension table in any visuals/calculations that you want.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Centaur ,

It just looks like you need to relate your Vendor dimension table (your master list that you're planning to fill in the gaps with) to the table provided by the owner.

In the data model, you would relate dimensionTable[VendorCode] ONE : MANY ownerTable[VandorCode].

You can then use the [VendorName] field from your dimension table in any visuals/calculations that you want.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Pete, thanks for the info.  

I however do not have a separate vendor table.  Its an import of an excel file with all the details (table is called FBL1N Pmts.  

is there a way to adjust what I already have in this table FBL1N Pmts to populate Vendor Name based on the vendor code in this single table I have? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors