Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimboj
Regular Visitor

Update Group if a cell is different from others

Fairly new to power query but use this forum to learn, so thanks to all who post and hopefully can help me with this problem.

What I would to accomplish is within a group of numbers in ubfmemno column, if ubfmstat equals A, then change the cells in those records in column ubfmstat that equal the ubfmemno to A. As in the example below, ubfmemno has 375 in three records, with the ubfmstat showing "I" twice and "A" once. Since one ubfmemno has an "A" in that group, I need to change the other two records in the umbfstat column to "A".

jimboj_0-1656017190525.png

jimboj_0-1656017572167.png

Thank you for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlbSUfIEYjMjc6VYHQjfEYhNDQ3hfJC8hQlU3sAAKmJqgC5iYmAEETE3hakxt0QTMTdHEzAzQxYBWW1uZoyuyRhdxMjcQCk2FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ubfmemno = _t, ubfmstat = _t, ubfacct = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ubfmemno", Int64.Type}, {"ubfmstat", type text}, {"ubfacct", Int64.Type}}),
    ActiveRows = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([ubfmstat] = "A")),
    BuffList = ActiveRows[ubfmemno],
    Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [ubfmstat],each if List.Contains(BuffList,[ubfmemno]) then "A" else [ubfmstat],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"ubfmstat"})
in
    Custom1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @jimboj 

Please check the attached pbix if that is what you need.

I attached a screenshot of the output.

mussaenda_0-1656052677074.png

hope this helps.

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlbSUfIEYjMjc6VYHQjfEYhNDQ3hfJC8hQlU3sAAKmJqgC5iYmAEETE3hakxt0QTMTdHEzAzQxYBWW1uZoyuyRhdxMjcQCk2FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ubfmemno = _t, ubfmstat = _t, ubfacct = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ubfmemno", Int64.Type}, {"ubfmstat", type text}, {"ubfacct", Int64.Type}}),
    ActiveRows = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([ubfmstat] = "A")),
    BuffList = ActiveRows[ubfmemno],
    Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [ubfmstat],each if List.Contains(BuffList,[ubfmemno]) then "A" else [ubfmstat],Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"ubfmstat"})
in
    Custom1

Vijay and mussaenda,

Thank you for your assistance. 

mussaenda, that is exactly what is needed, but if you left the code in the attachment, I couldn't download.

Vijay, That worked perfectly. Thank you so much!!! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors