Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Unpivoting a "grid", but needing to "add" data first

I'm not sure this can be done in PowerQuery, but if it can I need some advice

I have a data set that is akin to a calendar grid.  Here is a sample

3am 7am
Monday    
Daily QC 2286 & TITRATORS SC1-14003 (solvent concentration)
Daily   SC1-14010(2286)
Daily    
Daily    
Monthly-first Monday AE2-25830 (2286)  
Monthly-first Monday AE2-25831 (2286)  
Weekly SC1-14012 (CO2 loading) SC2-14012 (CO2 loading)
Tuesday    
Daily QC 2186, 2286, TVP & TITRATORS SC1-14003 (solvent concentration)
Daily   SC1-14010(2286)
Daily    
Daily    
4x weekly    
Weekly AE2-25707(2286)  
Weekly SC2-25005 (2186, TVP)  

The rows that have the name of the day of the week ("Monday", "Tuesday") are blank all the way across.  All of the other rows have at value in at least one column (6 total columns). This same structure repeats for all days of the week.

I can unpivot the grid to make 3am, 7am, etc as attributes, but then I lose the "Monday" and "Tuesday" rows/values because there is no data to unpivot.

I feel like I need another column that fills in "Monday" until it hits "Tuesday" then fills in 'Tuesday", etc. Desired outcome would be like this

3am 7am
Monday Monday    
Monday Daily QC 2286 & TITRATORS SC1-14003 (solvent concentration)
Monday Daily   SC1-14010(2286)
Monday ...    
Tuesday Tuesday    
Tuesday Daily QC 2186, 2286, TVP & TITRATORS SC1-14003 (solvent concentration)
Tuesday Daily   SC1-14010(2286)
Tuesday ...    

I would then unpivot the "Time" columns and have the data I need.

EXPECTED RESULT

Monday Daily 3am QC 2286 & TITRATORS
Monday Monthly-first Monday 3am AE2-25830 (2286)
Monday Monthly-first Monday 3am AE2-25831 (2286)
Monday Weekly 3am SC1-14012 (CO2 loading)
Monday Daily 7am SC1-14003 (solvent concentration)
Monday Daily 7am SC1-14010(2286)
Monday Weekly 7am SC2-14012 (CO2 loading)
Tuesday Daily 3am QC 2186, 2286, TVP & TITRATORS
Tuesday Daily 7am SC1-14003 (solvent concentration)
Tuesday Daily 7am SC1-14010(2286)

Any help on getting that additional column populated (or an alternative method of obtaining the desired outcome) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dedelman_clng , you may tweak the code this way,

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("H:\DEdelman\LIMS\Sample Schedule.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],

cols = Table.ColumnNames(Source),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Sheet1_Sheet,"",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue, cols),

//"Monday"/"Tuesday"/... row contains only one non-null cell
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Custom", each if List.NonNullCount(Record.ToList(_))=1 then Record.ToList(_){0} else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Filled Down", {cols{0}, "Custom"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

I suggest you turning the range of dataset into Excel table; so that 

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks @CNENFRNL  - worked great with one tweak

cols = Table.ColumnNames(Sheet1_Sheet),
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @CNENFRNL -

Thank you for the idea, but there is not a consistent number of rows for each day (ranges from 6-8). I have attached an Excel showing the raw data alongside the desired result.  The bold/highlighted rows contain the value in the far left that needs to be replicated to each of the rows in its block.

David

Hi, @dedelman_clng , you might want to try such a solution,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("zVXbaoNQEPyV4HPap/6AiTcSDWpMbCJ5EGKJNKRglDZ/3zk36dnWJKUUDuwMeHZ0Z9cVi8KK3k778mKNLRq7cWE5ZX1kORuYAA4QACEQawrEFHCBGRABCRUgPGAOLGgFEb5eHt7aw/Hy8FI353bUO82I1eyaeEXEKy7Oq+qV111K6IWzrjobO5Wnj9G7si8i1QV9c2vifq2nc5LOZXp/Mrj7XG8d8SzxwxZ87WVDmtnc0G+Jfis249A1dwzn77Ox/3c1pMfJ1bRtD6f5ra4rW5kKoiL+AM8TF44jiIm8pjZ/w3xfEXv+TJEuCgJFrMhcERcty7ZrjO3z/mUJQ2IfB5ogiogAB9+/LozjkblbEDEO+LQ6c/9EfadxrGhAkCSKBgRpqug3r2P3CQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"(blank)" = _t, #"3am" = _t, #"7am" = _t, #"11am" = _t, #"3pm" = _t, #"7pm" = _t, #"11pm" = _t]),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Source,"",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue, Table.ColumnNames(Source)),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Custom", each if List.NonNullCount(Record.ToList(_))=1 then [#"(blank)"] else null),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Filled Down", {"(blank)", "Custom"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

Thank you @CNENFRNL 

Where do I put the "let _t = ..." code if my Source code looks like this

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("H:\DEdelman\LIMS\Sample Schedule.xlsx"), null, true),

@dedelman_clng , you may tweak the code this way,

let

cols = Table.ColumnNames(Source),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Sheet1_Sheet,"",null,Replacer.ReplaceValue, cols),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Custom", each if List.NonNullCount(Record.ToList(_))=1 then Record.ToList(_){0} else null),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Filled Down", {cols{0}, "Custom"}, "Attribute", "Value")
in
    #"Unpivoted Columns"

I suggest you turning the range of dataset into Excel table; so that 

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @dedelman_clng , I'm afraid that I couldn't quite catch from your sample data to the desired result; but it seems such a transformed index column would help keep relevant rows tracable in subsequent steps.

let
    Source = ...

#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"previous step", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Integer-Divided Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.IntegerDivide(_, 6), Int64.Type}})

Screenshot 2020-11-11 150524.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors