Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

user180618
Helper I
Helper I

Unique values dynamically linked to multiple value columns

I am trying to transform data from a SharePoint list in Power Query Editor. That List has several single value columns and several multiple choice value columns. What I would like is to have those multiple values relate to one unique value (which will be used as the Count value in the Power BI report). Here's an example of what I have and what I've tried:

NameAgeLocations livedLanguages spoken
John30[List][List]
Ben35[List][List]
Jerry40[List][List]

I've then applied 'Expand to new rows' to Locations lived and Languages spoken in Query Editor and got:

NameAgeLocations livedLanguages spoken
John30New YorkEnglish
John30ChicagoItalian
Ben35New YorkEnglish
Ben35SeattleFrench
Ben35Portlandnull
Jerry40San FranciscoEnglish
Jerry40Los AngelesSpanish

But this duplicates my Name column, so when I create a Report to see a chart of the unique count of Names and the multiple Languages spoken, it will count John's as two, Ben's as two and so on. Instead, I would like the values New York and Chicago, and English and Italian, to relate to one count for John. 

If I do this another way and Extract values and concatenate, and then drag the 'Name' column to Values (under Visualizations), it will count John once but also show 'New York,Chicago' as one value and 'English,Italian' as one value.

Any suggestions as to how I can have multiple values in a column relate to just one unique column (in this case 'Name')?

I've tried choosing 'Count (Distinct)' for every chart created in the report, but this works for simple Visualizations, and skews the data for more complex ones. So I'd rather do it right and link column dynamically in Query Editor, rather than manually selecting Distinct Count in the report every time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @user180618 

Check this file:  Download PBIX 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Ricardo

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi 

Is this problem sloved? 
If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case and help the other members find it more quickly?
If not, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards
Maggie
user180618
Helper I
Helper I

I've gone with extracting and concatenating the values, so now have:

NameAgeLocation livedLanguages spoken
John30New York,ChicagoEnglish,Italian
Ben35New York,Seattle,PortlandEnglish,French
Jerry40San Francisco,Los AngelesEnglish,Spanish

However, when I create a report and under Legend choose the column 'Location lived' and choose 'Count of Name' under Value, I cannot get it to show me the Location lived and Languages spoken values separately. So for example, I'd like a pie chart visualization for Ben to show me 1 count each for New York, Seattle and Portland, and 1 count each for English and French.

Is there a way to do this without running an R script in Query Editor?

@user180618 ,

Why don't you split the values by comma, so you can achieve it.

Ricardo

I've already split them by commas in Query Editor (see previous post), but it comes out like this in the report:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

I'd like it to show me the count value for those cities separately, but for the Name column to be the main aggregator.

Hi @user180618 

Check this file:  Download PBIX 

Ricardo

Thanks @camargos88. I've done as you suggested: Extracted and concatenated, and then Split Column by delimeter. But I now get several separate Locationslived.1 and Locationslived.2 columns.

My next question is: How should I group the columns so that the report can get all of those values together (instead of adding every split column to the Legend)? If in Query Editor I select Locationslived.1, Locationslived.2 and so on and group by Sum, I get an Error. If I group by All rows, I just get a [Table].

(Again, bearing in mind these Locations columns are multiple choice values relating to one Name column value)

Hi @user180618 ,

You have to split it on rows and not on columns, if you split it using columns you can't use both to aggregate as you want.

Take a look at the file again, it has a step splitting both columns on rows instead of columns.

Ricardo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors