Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Titifeleke

Unable to connect to online SharePoint site to get data on power bi site

Hello,

I signed up for trial version of POWER BI site. I want to connect to excel files on my sharepoint document library. From my Power BI site when click on "GET" it gives me an option to connect to different data sources. when I click on " sharePoint", it gives me a field to write the link for my site. But when I insert the link and click connect, it give me the following error message.

The URL is not valid or you do not have permission to the site. Please check the URL and make sure you have permissions ..."

I am one of the site collection administrator on the site and have full control permiision. I can see the content of the site from POWER BI desktop, that might show this not a permission issue. And there is no error on the URL of the site.

Please I need help, thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Titifeleke,

In your scenario, please try the options below:

1. Verify the typed SharePoint site URL is correct. You can sign in the SharePoint online and copy the site URL.

2. Use Fiddler to trace the HTTP traffic.

3. Check if another user who has permission to access this site can connect to this SharePoint site.

4. Create a new SharePoint site and check if can connect to this new site.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think Power BI site can take as a data source only those sharepoint sites which exist in the office 365 which hosts

the power BI site. Because when I insert the link for a sharepoint site which exist in the office 365 which hosts the power

BI site I can connect without any problem. But I want to connect to another sharepoint  online site which  

doesn't exist in the office 365 which hosts the power BI site or a site with different domain. is this possible?

Thnaks a lot

Hi @Titifeleke,

Based on my test, we are not able to connect to the SharePoint online site which is in a different domain from current Office 365. You can check available site in your Power BI Service without entering any URL, click Connect directly.

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors