Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ketilyv
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to local mysql database keyword not supported

I'm new to Power BI, and I try to connect to my local mysql database. I get the following error message (after giving the server and the database name): "Unable to connect. We encountered an error while trying to connect. Details: "Keyword not supported. Parameter name: integratedsecurity"

Hope somebody has a solution!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Lydia,

by showing my case to some fellow programmers, they helped me finding a solution: Instead of putting "localhost" or the IP-adress (127.0.0.1) as server name, I simply put the pc name (as registered by Windows), In MySQL Workbench, we checked "Server status", and there this name is given under the "host" category. But thanks for your effort anyway!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ketilyv,

Are you able to connect to MySQL database through MySQL workbench? If there is no issue with using MySQL workbench, please use same connections parameters in Power BI Desktop and also add port number with server name to connect to MySQL.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia, thanks for answering. Yes, the database works fine from the Mysql Workbench. What I don't quite understand form your answer is exactly where should I add the port number, and also how do I find this number in the first place? As I explained, I have not even come to the credentials (user/password) dialog, it stops with the error message I get after entering the server name and database. (Here I use "localhost" as server name.)

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ketilyv I would suggest you go through this post to connect MySQL in Power BI.

Thanks for answering. I have read the post, but I'm not quite sure if I see any solution there. As far as I see, I don't take you to mean that using AdventureWorksDW should make all the difference for this connection problem?

Hi @ketilyv,

Please use the latest version of Power BI Desktop and enter 127.0.0.1 : portnumber or ipaddress : portnumber in Power BI as Server name instead of "localhost" to connect to MySQL and check if it is successful.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So how do I know the portnumber?

Hi @ketilyv,

The default port number is 3306. You can refer to the following similar thread to check your port.
http://serverfault.com/questions/116100/how-to-check-what-port-mysql-is-running-on

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

OK, now I write "127.0.0.1:3306" as server name, followed by the name of the database. Then I still get the same error message:

Unable to connect. We encountered an error while trying to connect.
Details:"Keyword not supported. parameter name: integratedsecurity"

Thanks so far, but it doesn't seem that I'm getting any further.

But I still appreciate any solution proposal!

Ketil V.

Hi @ketilyv,

In Power BI desktop, please go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics and click "enable tracing", then connect to MySQL and check the detailed logs in the traces folder. Also please help to post the detailed logs here.

Thanks,
Lyida Zhang

Hi again, I thought the problem was solved as I actually managed to get in by help of some friends. But then the next time i*m trying, it's the same thing over again. There are lots of log files in the traces folder, here's an example of the content of one of them:

RemoteDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource> {"Start":"2016-10-24T00:55:21.1259711Z","Action":"RemoteDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource>","evaluationID":"1","containerID":"1","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.642 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"299d7f07-d414-45b4-84d7-a12ae84d7f88","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":22680,"Tid":9,"Duration":"00:00:01.3047761"}
DocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource> {"Start":"2016-10-24T00:55:21.1191144Z","Action":"DocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource>","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.642 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"299d7f07-d414-45b4-84d7-a12ae84d7f88","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":22680,"Tid":9,"Duration":"00:00:00.4655004"}
RemoteDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource> {"Start":"2016-10-24T00:56:01.8393394Z","Action":"RemoteDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource>","evaluationID":"2","containerID":"1","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.642 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"067df180-e72f-484c-a98e-5ff339b0d9ae","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":22680,"Tid":31,"Duration":"00:00:00.0246564"}
DocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource> {"Start":"2016-10-24T00:56:01.8390029Z","Action":"DocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource>","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.642 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"067df180-e72f-484c-a98e-5ff339b0d9ae","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":22680,"Tid":31,"Duration":"00:00:00.0029849"}

Hello Lydia,

by showing my case to some fellow programmers, they helped me finding a solution: Instead of putting "localhost" or the IP-adress (127.0.0.1) as server name, I simply put the pc name (as registered by Windows), In MySQL Workbench, we checked "Server status", and there this name is given under the "host" category. But thanks for your effort anyway!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors